BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a multi day ride in Colorado in September. Is that too late? does anyone have any suggestions for roads, points of interest, etc? thank you

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great timing!
September and October are my favorite months to ride and photograph.Last year we spent 4 days in the San Juans alone.I ran into snow patches at higher elevations where I had no chioce but turn around,once managed to drop my LT on the way up Independence pass.You'll have a great time if the weather cooperates.

Have fun!

This is what it US550 looked like in mid September just outside Silverton.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
If the road is open when you are there you should ride Mt Evans. Check it out here http://www.mountevans.com/

I was there on Thursday and the view was excellent. The air is a bit thin at the top so don't stay too long and get light headed before you ride down.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Trail Ridge is always good, over Rock Mountain National Park............have fun.......j

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gorgeous pics! that is what i am looking forward to. Might try and just head on up to Yellowstone through CO.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just my opinion, but Yellowstone is way over rated. On our last ride through Co., we detoured east around it. Just wasn't worth the $20 to see it, although getting stopped by a a buffalo heard is something everyone should have done to them at least once.
We rode north out of N.M. up the Million Dollar Hwy, and it is B.E.A.utiful. Also rode through the Eisenhower Tunnel just because it was there. Just east of the tunnel, dive off the freeway and loop back around over the pass to the south - I think it's called Loveland Pass. Also beautiful.
If I recall correctly, we rode through Rocky Mountain National Park and got to 12,000 feet elevation. Also went through Lowell, the highest airport if the US (one of our riders is a pilot and just had to say he'd been there :) ).
Colorado as one of the prettiest states I've been too. Really enjoyed riding there and will go back. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! Havent fgured out exactly where we are going to go but we definately need to get out of this state and see some other areas. My wife is out of school for two weeks in september and it just happens to be during her birthday. I told her a nice birthday ride through the rockies sounds good :histerica and she agreed!! I sure am lucky and have a great wife. I definately want to make the ride from Durango to Telluride. Has anyone been up Pikes Peak on their LT?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yellowstone after Labor Day works. Swing by via 189 for a brief stop in Big Piney. Maybe the SO and I would be able for a couple days through the park and up to Chief Joseph's.

:D ..........j

p.s.......yep..........Pikes is nice........may get a little tenuous in Sept. however........IMHO...j

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yellowstone is a great park too.It is a bit overrated and crowded during the summer months,but as it's been suggested before it should be fine after Labor day.That's if you wont get snowed on as I have last fall.But I guess that can happen anywhere at higher elevations.I might suggest staying flexible as far as destinations and you'll see what mother nature will throw at you.Southern Colorado has the most to offer,that late in the season.Have you considered Utah at all?It does get cold sometimes but you have a better chance on getting away dry!

This photo was taken over Teton pass in WY on 9/9/2010.

Robert.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have decided to just stick to CO. We have talked about possibly moving there so we are just gonna go ride around there for a few days. Going to ride up to Durango on the first day, then head north to somewhere, maybe Glennwood springs, then who knows. Open for suggestions if anybody else has any!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Head E on 50 from Montrose and then take 92 N to Hotchkiss.Don't miss the overview of Black canyon!Get on 133 over McClure pass and down to Carbondale.If you are comfortable in dirt roads with the LT,check out Crested Butte via CR12 and Kebler pass.It's a well maintained road and it doesn't get a lot of traffic during the week.If your on I-70,Glenwood canyon is quite beautiful.Get off in Silverthorne and take 6 over Loveland pass.It's just a loop,it takes you back to the interstate.Hit 40 N through Winter park if heading to northern Colorado.There 34 (trail ridge road) over RMNP,Peak to peak hwy,Poudre canyon 14,Rabbit ear pass to Steamboat springs.If the weather is fine,there are plenty of must see's!

Robert.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Having lived in Grand Junction, one of my favorites is Hwy 141 - catch it just east of GJ (Whitewater) and the head south to Gateway (beautiful place to stay or have lunch there) and eventually to Ridgeway where you "T" into Hwy 550, the Million Dollar Highway noted in other posts. 141 takes you through Unaweep Canyon and from Gateway follows the Dolores and San Miguel Rivers to Ridgeway. Great ride.

Denny

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
HERE IS day 2 of my route to CCR, I've done the Million Dollar Hwy so I was looking at some different roads to get to Wy or Idaho. Would like to keep it to 500 miles max so we can stop & see stuff. Also Steamboat Springs is not a Must ,it just fit in the mileage range. How does this look to you guys that have rode these roads.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Wolf Creek Pass is well worth it. As mentioned Durango, Million Dollar Highway. Estes Park to Rocky Mountain National Park. Your time frame is good, should be nice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Foiler said:
Nice! Havent fgured out exactly where we are going to go but we definately need to get out of this state and see some other areas. My wife is out of school for two weeks in september and it just happens to be during her birthday. I told her a nice birthday ride through the rockies sounds good :histerica and she agreed!! I sure am lucky and have a great wife. I definately want to make the ride from Durango to Telluride. Has anyone been up Pikes Peak on their LT?
I did Pikes Peak on the LT last year in early August. I was nervous about the gravel stretches but they are very doable. There was decent scenery on the way up and down, but mainly it's neat to say "Done it". Be sure to go in the morning. They said it normally clouds over in the afternoon.
Lowell

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
50,92,133. i was gonna go a little different route but have changed it to go this way from Durango to Glenwood Springs. THANK YOU for the info :cool: Not exactly sure how we are going to go to Nederland from GS but will try to include the loveland pass loop.
lvahl i am wondering how much gravel there is? I have only seen some of the racing footage but it appears to be several miles of dirt/gravel road? Thank you :bmw:

·
Registered
69 Posts
katnapinn said:
HERE IS day 2 of my route to CCR, I've done the Million Dollar Hwy so I was looking at some different roads to get to Wy or Idaho. Would like to keep it to 500 miles max so we can stop & see stuff. Also Steamboat Springs is not a Must ,it just fit in the mileage range. How does this look to you guys that have rode these roads.
Sounds and looks good!Have you been to Taos NM before?Or Breckenridge CO?Cute little towns,but it's gonna slow you down a bit.

Have fun!

Robert.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
simonrobi said:
Sounds and looks good!Have you been to Taos NM before?Or Breckenridge CO?Cute little towns,but it's gonna slow you down a bit.

Have fun!

Robert.
I've been to both in a cage but not on a bike. My ridin buddy is worried about 500 miles in the mountains in 1 day as he likes to stop & I promised we would stop some. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts