BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the misfortune and was involved in an accident earlier this week. The insurance (Progressive) just informed me that the LT was a total loss.

To make a long story short, I was traveling in the left lane of a four lane freeway. Traffic ahead of me began stopping and stopped. I stopped directly behind (left rear side) an F-350 p/u truck. Then I noticed a Chev Silverado p/u rapidly approaching my rear, before I could get the LT moved I was struck in the rear by the Chevy at 35-40 mph. I think he applied his brakes just prior to impact. That pushed me to the left and into the rear of the F-350, ejecting me off the LT. The LT continued sideswiping the concrete divider wall and ultimately passing the Ford hitting another vehicle that was stopped in front of the Ford.

I managed to get banged up only, abrasions, lacerations to my lower legs. I twisted my left knee somehow so right now that’s the worst of my injuries.

Oh in case the question comes up yes I did have all my riding gear on (pants, jacket, helmet, gloves) which by the way held up wonderful and did perform as intended.


I am in the process of looking for another LT and hopefully I will have one all lined up in the next few days…

Got a bunch of pics of the scene, I will see if I can get them posted..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
Glad you're OK, you can replace the bike! ATGATT works again. Stay safe.

Are you going to try and strip all your farkles off?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
I'm glad that you are OK and a nice testimony for riding with all of the proper gear/ A shame though about the bike, and the best color too! Hard to replace!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
Wow Bill, Good to hear your mostly OK!
Think you might want to play the lotto tonight....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Such a shame--I hope they jail the guy or woman. Glad to hear you have no serious injuries.
Dan, I knew you will comment on the bike,s color...you'r funny!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
I couldn't help myself...... It's such a beautiful color! I like the grey color of my new one, wife says that it matches my hair, but would have ordered it in the red or green if available... I really like the red K1600GT. Same color of my first Honda 350.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
DanDiver said:
I couldn't help myself...... It's such a beautiful color! I like the grey color of my new one, wife says that it matches my hair, but would have ordered it in the red or green if available... I really like the red K1600GT. Same color of my first Honda 350.
so dan
how do you like the gtl so far???????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
You sir, are lucky beyond description. I tend to stay to the side when I have to stop quickly in traffic hoping that if someone ever hits me I can clear the vehicle in front of me and walk away like you did. Good job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Yes Luck might be an under statement on this one.

Just completed a deal on a used 2009 K1200LT. It was posted on the forum here in from Indiana.... Buts its a Black one this time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Dang. Truck attacked my 02. that's how I got the 07. My insurance (Farmers) did me well. Hope yours takes as good care of you.

Heal well. Black is, in fact, the fastest color! :)

ATGATT!
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
Glad you walked away from that one. And thank Goodness for being able to split lane in CA or you would have been stuck between the bumpers of both truck!:eek:
I have a spare flip-up helmet and riding jacket, should you need temporary gear until you replace yours. Just PM me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Glad you are OK Bill, that LT sure is a mess, I can easily see why Progressive totalled it. That colour was beautiful.

What kind of performance award did the Chevy get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Chipper said:
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. Yes Luck might be an under statement on this one.

Just completed a deal on a used 2009 K1200LT. It was posted on the forum here in from Indiana.... Buts its a Black one this time...
Bill I am Glad you are OK...
And Wow Fast replacement......Nice :dance:
You will love the difference from the 02 to the 09... one word.... electric center stand ( well close ot one word)......the rest will be self explanatory after you ride it
:) .....and one more word to leave you with.. once you've had black you'll never go back...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zippy_gg said:
Glad you walked away from that one. And thank Goodness for being able to split lane in CA or you would have been stuck between the bumpers of both truck!:eek:
I have a spare flip-up helmet and riding jacket, should you need temporary gear until you replace yours. Just PM me.

:) Thank you Gilles, for the offer of the helmet and jacket. I also have a spare that I can use.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Boatzo said:
Glad you are OK Bill, that LT sure is a mess, I can easily see why Progressive totalled it. That colour was beautiful.

What kind of performance award did the Chevy get?
Yes the driver will get cited out of this collison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
woodey said:
Bill I am Glad you are OK...
And Wow Fast replacement......Nice :dance:
You will love the difference from the 02 to the 09... one word.... electric center stand ( well close ot one word)......the rest will be self explanatory after you ride it
:) .....and one more word to leave you with.. once you've had black you'll never go back...
That's what I hear, there is remarkable difference between the 02 and the 09's
I am sure Iam going to love it.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Bill. glad to see you made it through the accident OK, Tks to ATGATT! It really is a shame to see the LT totaled, but it sounds like Progressive is doing a good job there. On the subject of the totaled Bike, have you thought about a buy back for parts? There can be a lot of money there. Not to mention the luxury of having spare LT parts whenever you may need them!

Think about seeing your Dr. if you have not already done so. Those pains do have a way of springing up later. Plus you want to make sure there really is nothing serious wrong.

John
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top