BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Collett Platinum 900 Intercom. We are just looking for a simple passenger to driver based intercom and not necessarily a full blown system. The company seems to have a good rep and they have a "try it for 30 days" guarantee with a 3 year parts and labor warranty after that. The cost is around $209.

Thanks,
Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
One of my friends was selling two sets of those. In short, he said they were junk. Take it for what it's worth.

For $269.99, you can buy an IntaRide RP1 that has really served me and the little lady well. It's an intercom, but I also run the LT's stereo through it, my cell phone, and my Garmin 2610 GPS. Even after upgrading the headset speakers and adding 3 inline volume controls for everything...I still have less then $400 into the entire setup. And I would compare it to anything out there . . . except maybe the Baehr.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Collett earlier 900 series

Hi Joe,
I have knowledge of the previous Collett 900 models and I can say that the products are sound and they are good people to deal with. I bought several sets in 2000 to start a dealership relationship with the company.I had a number of out of the box samples failures due to a few loose wires or pulled on too hard wires but they fixed them no charge and quickly. As for a system to just communicate with your passenger they are fine for their cost. They "sense" (VOX) your voice and there are NO push to talk switches. When you learn to properly adjust the mike it works perfectly. I especially liked the arrangment it had for allowing you to use your cell phone. At the time I was first using my Collett I had a Buell S3T with full race exhaust, may as well been about a straight pipe. All three of my daughters called me while I was on a trip home from the Florida Key's for Father's Day. One got me on Channel #5 Bridge by Matecumbee Key at about 55mph, another in the Miami area on a side road back over to 997 and US 41 and the last at 80+mph on I-75. All were heard lound and clear and they could hear me too. Full face helmet. For 209.00 I don't think you could go wrong, despitre the "my buddy said" type remarks found here about on this site. A riding buddy of mine also bought one so we could also communicate as he had just started riding again after a long absence from bikes. He was glad he had it when he came to Ft. Myers for a visit on his Ducati M900. I got to give him directions and point out landmarks and also slippery spots you don't usually see but are there. Also, as we rode a lot and didn't have much to otherwise talk it gave us a chance to "catch up" on the fly so to speak. He was impredded but his H-D buddies weren't into wearing helmets so they didn't buy any. We still use ours whenever we ride together. I also was able to incorrporate a small radio to be played thru my set-up. Now I have a "real" radio system on the LT and after riding Buells and Ducati's for the last 5 years my girlfriend and I wonder what you all need intercoms for, these bikes are so quiet I can hear her thoughts right thru my helmet! I believe they have a newer version coming out full stereo sound hence the discount probably. Try one for the money and the 30 day trial it's more than worth the small investment over a Chatterbox or PTT system. IMHO

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I could've posted a link to the comments that "my buddy" made about the Collett 900, but I was trying to be nice. At least I don't have the tainted point-of-view that a dealer's going to give... ;) I'm only a happy and satisfied IntaRide customer. I never sold them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
tainted point-of-view

As for a "tainted point-of-view of a dealer" comment you posted. I became a dealer to receive a discount and to sell a product that I THOUGHT might be helpful to other riders AND be Profitable to me personally. I used the product myself BEFORE selling any to anyone else and as I also stated HAD some out of box failures with the product that I addressed in my thread. Collett immediately fixed these no questions asked. I at LEAST tried the product and gave my opinions of it. That was, I thought, what Joe was asking for. Why don't you get your Buddy to write a report about how awful it was so we'll all know what a truly lousy product it is. Let's seenow, if I apply your Buddys logic to an LT They're a piece of junk too, rear drive failure, fuel cannister problem, clutches contaminated on new out of the box bikes, speedos inaccurate, poor dealer network, won't stand behind the product when it fails etc. Let's be real here, most things mechanical and especially electrical can and will fail sooner or later. The unit worked in the rain, cold, heat, and I didn't have to push some lousy button everytime I wanted to talk and divert attention from the job at hand. Let's see, works as stated, no push to talk button, inexpensive, good company backing it up, not bad for an electronic 209.00 product. Wish Microsoft windows was as good! I looked over the site for the product you mentioned and it looks good for what it does but more expensive and you have to buy more items to get some of the features of the Collett product. Money talks, BS walks! That's Barbara Streisan to those of you that don't know. Have a nice day!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I looked over the site for the product you mentioned and it looks good for what it does but more expensive and you have to buy more items to get some of the features of the Collett product.
Right out-of-the-box, the IntaRide RP1 gives you a full-duplex rider/passenger intercom with adjustable VOX, two headsets with QUALITY police-type jacks (no crappy multi-pin jacks), a stereo audio input w/ patch cable, a GPS input, a cell phone input w/ patch cable, and an FRS/GMRS input. All for $269. I don't know what "more" the Collett 900 can give you other than bike-to-bike. Please inform so I can be more educated.

Others truly interested in the IntaRide RP1 can read my review by clicking HERE.

Oh . . . and, rumor has it that Microsoft is doing just fine, with or without you. They may even turn a profit this year. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quality product

I have experience with the Collett Communicators - and I'm not a dealer. My wife and I have both the intercom and bike to bike. They are good quality and we have been very satisfied with them. Some friends have the ver old ones that look like an anvil hanging off their helmet, but they still work great for them.

If you are just looking for the ability to converse with your passenger and no special hook-ups expecting stereo music, etc. then I think you would be very pleased with the Collett Communicators.

Keith

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Hello Joe (videojoe)
I know you were asking about the Collete intercom but you also said you were looking for a simple system. Nady communications makes some alternatives also.

http://www.nadywireless.com/products/motorcylce_pg.html

I bought the MRC-11, it is both bike to bike (FRS) and full duplex intercom from driver/passenger. Mine came with one cheap mono headset which was crap. I bought two "premium stereo headsets" and they work great in our Shoei full-face helmets. We can use the Vox hi/lo up to 80 mph with no problems except when passing trucks it activates sometimes. The pluses for me; Both rider and passenger can use the radio part. It is portable, fits in my front pocket. It can use the same AA nimh batteries my camera uses, so I only carry on charger. Oh and low cost depending on where you buy $79-$99 for the MRC-11 and around $35-$40 for a good headset (by two headsets).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts