BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sort of dropped mine when putting her up on the center stand. She went over and I laid her against the wall knocking off my mirror. Luckily, I popped the mirror back on but have yet to repair the sheet rock. No damage to the bike though. By the way, this is my first post. I have a 2002 LTC with 32K. I've owned her for a year now. Really enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dropped the LT on the left side in DEEP sand while on a trip to Baja. No apparent damage. About a year later I'd stopped in the middle of nowhere to get gas and when I pulled out of the station and tried to shift in to second gear I couldn't find the shift lever with my foot. Pulled over and discovered that the gear shift lever, for lack of a better term, was hanging straight down and apparently no attached to anything. Too much money to have the bike hauled to Reno or Las Vegas ($900) so I called Scott McKay the service manager at Sierra BMW, Reno, and he told me how to shift the bike in to a gear and ride it back to Reno. I selected third gear and the next morning rode 200+ miles in third gear at 50 mph. Got great gas mileage but the cars passing me at 85 mph on Highway 50 didn't make for a fun trip. If you've dropped the bike on the left side on a soft surface I'd check the linkage before riding too far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you haven't dropped the LT you're not riding much! Or put another way it's just a matter of time. Why is it that the "drop" always happens when there is a crowd around to watch?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought my new 2009 K1200LT!!!
I've already dumped it twice. :confused: Fortunately the rubber and crome bumpers took most of the damage. Is there anyway to replace these?

Also, any hints from other first time buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dumped my 2001 LT on the first ride after I bought it. :D I was so embarrassed that I picked it straight up with my lady friend still on the back seat. :dance:
Second time I dropped it was just 2 weeks ago. Set the side stand on a rock or something and she was down before I could get off. I tried the "back up to it trick" that I read about on this site. Took me over 10 days for the pulled muscle in my back to feel better. I found that going front to the bike with a hand full of hand grip and the other hand full of grab bar I could set the big pig up. Lucky me, noone saw, of course that also meant no one to help.:histerica
Luv the Brick. I bought it off my brother 2 1/2 years ago. The bike had about 8k miles on it and I just got her back from getting the 24k service.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, the "rubber and chrome bumpers," aka tip over bar covers, are very easy to replace by removing screws on the underside. Easy, but not cheap. Part numbers may be found at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=accessories_faq#faq_accessories_faq_partnumbers

Before replacing the damaged parts, make sure that the bar inside (tip over bar) that bolts onto the frame isn't bent.

As far as other hints, keep reading posts and check out the FAQs. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and info.

John

smartypants said:
I just bought my new 2009 K1200LT!!!
I've already dumped it twice. :confused: Fortunately the rubber and crome bumpers took most of the damage. Is there anyway to replace these?

Also, any hints from other first time buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on the ferry to Nelson B.C. when I just about tipped my K1200LTE .The ferry was just pulling into the dock so I took it off the side stand. Just before the ferry stopped it jerked to the rght and then to the left. The people on either side of me and my wife were the only things that saved me from going over both ways. From now on I'm going to leave the bike on the stand until the ferry is stopped and the unloading ramp is in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hadn't owned the LT for a full 24 hours yet, I was going to Colorado from Gainesville Fl and stopped for gas in Pensacola. I finished filling up and moved forward under a tree to get out of the sun for a while, not being used to the side stand I didn't have it all the down when I put the bikes weight on it of course the bike just rolled forward and down on it's side. No damage just my ego when I had to go back to the gas station and ask for help to get it upright.

Ralph
2000 LT Burgandy :bmw:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dropped mine on approach to the driveway of the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort in Stecoah, NC. The person riding ahead of me veered way out into the oncoming lane before making her turn into the driveway. I was watching her, I suppose, and not paying attention to myself. I really don't know what happened. I couldn't have stalled it. I remember shutting it off after it fell. The right mirror assembly broke - had to purchase a new one - was able to salvage the mirror itself though. Had sore ribs and shoulder for a few days - hurt pride was the worst! I thought sure SHE was going down and not me!!!

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
DaveDragon said:
Sorry Matt, It was made "Sticky" intentionally, and is so for everyone.
Yes, I sort of figured that was the case. Bummer. Pretty soon the first view of the forum will sticky topics and I'll have to go to page 2 to see anything new and interesting.
:(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Boy do I feel bad. Everyone talking about the time they dropped their bike. How about times. Note to whomever: if you have droped your bike more than once take a look at that bar under the wing. It may need to be replaced. It is made to give rather than brake the frame.
I went down once at around 25mph after hitting some antefreez in the road. Got high sided pritty bad. Hurt me for two months but I had the bike fixed myself in two weeks. It takes that long to get parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: dropped bike??

UKTzero said:
Were these bikes damaged by tipping over? ... Someone told me that they were designed with a special engine guard that will protect it if it's tipped over when stopped (obviously won't do much if you dump it while riding) ... Is this true?

Does the K1200LT sustain any damage at all from being tipped over while standing still? :confused:

Thanks

I have dropped mine 3 or 4 times on pavement while standing still and it doesn't roll over. It rests at a 45 degree angle. It doesn't seem to have done it any harm except for the underside of the black plastic part that it rests on. I dropped it on a rough road and it scuffed it a bit but it's not vissible unless you get right down on the ground looking for it. I assume that the part is replaceble

·
Registered
41 Posts
Colyn said:
On a recent trip to the Eastern Cape I arrived at a small town called Heidelberg and parked the bike under a tree. What I did not see was that there was an indent in the ground under the front wheel.

As I stood up to get off the bike tipped forward and the frontwheel just rolled into that dip. I could do nothing else but to jump clear because the bike was fully loaded.

The bike ended on it's side ... exactly as the dealer told me it would ... the left bumper was on the ground and the two wheels touched ... nothing else.

My friend helped me pick the bike up and I parked it again. Zero damages apart from a bit of grime on the bumper.

That incident taught me a valuable lesson and since then I never get on or get off without holding the front brake.

i will add to that... i have always been told never...never get off the bike without it in gear... i have a 2003lt.. so no auto center stand... one day at work i was on a slight angle...had the bike in 1st gear... jumped off while it was on the side stand... and it rolled about an inch... just enough for it to fall... best to put the bike in gear..and let it do its thing before getting off...once it has rolled as far as it is going to ... it should not do any more moving... i am still a bit paranoid though...kirk

·
Registered
41 Posts
on one of the occasions...there were 3 ..mine fell...i replaced the chrome plastic bumper guard on the rt. rear saddle bag... that costs about $130. and does not include the reflector... but the reflector is easily removed and held in place with double sided tape...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Once....so far....I stopped the bike on a small country road, put the kickstand down and started to get off....then the weight started shifting left as the bike started rolling forward and the kickstand began to go back.....I caught it with a little bit of strain and the use of the front brake. I re-set the kickstand...or so I thought....whilst leaving the engine running. Ran back to pick up the item that fell and as I got about 20 feet from the bike on the way back all I could do was cringe as I saw it settle and the engine shut off by itself. Country roads aren't the smoothest and the gravel chewed into the left black bumper and scratched the rear chrome bumper.
:mad:

:check: Here's the lesson, DO NOT get off the bike and leave the engine running, park facing up to the center of the road where it is "crowned" (if on a country/less travelled road), and leave the bike in gear....it'll start when you get back!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I've dropped mine once and I experienced the most interesting range of emotions. I was embarrassed to have such a pretty motorcycle in such an awkward position yet I was waving my arms in the air like an idiot going Yes! Yes! It finally happened. Pretty sure the GW rider who came back to check to make sure that nobody was hurt probably thought I was daft. I was actually very happy that the event had finally occurred. I've thought quite a bit about how I'm going to handle the "crowd" next time. Something like "Yeah I'm OK. Not much you can do though when they get tired and decide to take a nap! I think I'll just give her a couple more minutes rest and get her back on her feet". Or something along these lines. The trick will be to deliver the message in a deadpan manner without smiling. Remember, if damage has been done it is already done. Getting PO'd isn't going to mitigate any damage so you had just as well enjoy the moment.

Loren

21 - 40 of 99 Posts