·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update Poll

Need the 2007 colors and year updated unless this poll is no longer needed? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
This topic is always at the top of my list even though I sort by date. I see it has a stick pin which I assume is why it does this. I don't care about this topic and would like to get it out of sight. How do I "unstick" it?

Matt

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
How many LTs have you owned. That is 3 for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Came close one day when I stalled the bike while turning left. If I had the wife on at the time I know I would not have been able to keep it up, But I was solo and lucky enough to manage it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
dropped bike??

Were these bikes damaged by tipping over? ... Someone told me that they were designed with a special engine guard that will protect it if it's tipped over when stopped (obviously won't do much if you dump it while riding) ... Is this true?

Does the K1200LT sustain any damage at all from being tipped over while standing still? :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
On a recent trip to the Eastern Cape I arrived at a small town called Heidelberg and parked the bike under a tree. What I did not see was that there was an indent in the ground under the front wheel.

As I stood up to get off the bike tipped forward and the frontwheel just rolled into that dip. I could do nothing else but to jump clear because the bike was fully loaded.

The bike ended on it's side ... exactly as the dealer told me it would ... the left bumper was on the ground and the two wheels touched ... nothing else.

My friend helped me pick the bike up and I parked it again. Zero damages apart from a bit of grime on the bumper.

That incident taught me a valuable lesson and since then I never get on or get off without holding the front brake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dropped her once in Dinan ,France. Up a 1 in 5 cobbled medieval street - fine till I got to the top and had to stop to turn right. Stalled her just lay her gently down - no damage - not even a scuff to the rubber bumpers.
So far, thanks to the tips etc from this site ... and taking care with the slow stuff, only lay her down once. Hope that is not tempting fate. :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Drop the bike

It's just a matter of time - and of course it always happens when there is a crowd to watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gpolakow said:
How many have dropped the bike at least once?
Only once but it was in front of the club I ride with. :eek:

The service manager at BMW of Scottsdale told me that there are only two kinds of LT riders: those who have dropped their LT and those that will. :bmw:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dropped it twice the first week, but not since thank goodness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:histerica dropped outside the showroom just after being warned about it being heavy.
middlewich said:
I dropped her once in Dinan ,France. Up a 1 in 5 cobbled medieval street - fine till I got to the top and had to stop to turn right. Stalled her just lay her gently down - no damage - not even a scuff to the rubber bumpers.
So far, thanks to the tips etc from this site ... and taking care with the slow stuff, only lay her down once. Hope that is not tempting fate. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I'm not the only clumsy one. I dropped mine coming into the garage, and scratched the lower engine cover. I was so mad I reached over and picked up the bike like it was my CRF. No wonder I was sore the next day!

·
Registered
15 Posts
almost dropped her, the first week. a housewife in an suv ( cell phone in hand ) in a parking lot, backed out into my path, i tried to turn her too quickly left. my wife on back, got to hear me say something i've never uttered in 40 plus years of riding...... HELP ME !!!!!! she and i, together, kept the bike from hitting pavement. she is, by far the heaviest bike i've ever ridden.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't dropped mine yet.
6'1" and 245 probably help along with 35 years riding.
I won't be too suprised or mad when I do though.

Ride safe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dropped it my second day of ownership right in the driveway.....LAST WEEK

Now I know better than to back out of the garage two up and try to turn around on a hill. No biggie

1 - 20 of 99 Posts