BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 K1200LT. Does anyone know if the Coleman solar panels (2.5 watts or 1.8 watts) are OK to use for extended storage when 110v power is not available? I'm thinking of hooking this direct to the battery, not through the auxiliary outlet. I've used these solar panels on other automotive batteries and they seem to work just fine.
Thanks for the feedback..:smile:

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
I have a 2004 K1200LT. Does anyone know if the Coleman solar panels (2.5 watts or 1.8 watts) are OK to use for extended storage when 110v power is not available? I'm thinking of hooking this direct to the battery, not through the auxiliary outlet. I've used these solar panels on other automotive batteries and they seem to work just fine.
I am not familiar with these panels, but I suspect they are not regulated. If do, they will likely overcharge and damage the battery.

Reactions: dlafoy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was concerned about as batteries are very expensive. They do advertise them saying they have a maintenance feature & cutoff when the battery is charged. I'm using one on an rv battery over the winter which should be a good test.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
I would say go for it. Most of the available Coleman solar panel are designed to charge 12 V batteries so it would be no worse than a trickle charger. I assume Voyager thought this was just a bare panel and not one designed for the job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For extended storage, it is best to pull the battery, sit it on a wood black (not on cement) and attach a trickle charger. I have used the Coleman chargers but that approach isn't as good as pulling the battery, keeping it warm, and trickling.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Watch this video, it is in the video results second one down with Stacy Davids quick tips
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=will+trickle+charging+ruin+a+battery&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Dave

Calgary is my old stomping grounds. I assume you know anderwerks.....

At any rate I haul a cargo trailer with my K12 and am going to install a small solar panel on it to charge a backup pc680 battery. Will be used to power/charge all of my conveniences while on the road.... yah not every bodies cup but I like my toys in the evening. Also I kind of like lights around the campground at night when cooking etc.

The panel is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046DSLFS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

The controller is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AE3UEUE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

(cheap insurance)

and an odyssey pc680 battery same as the scoot.

I meant to have it in before the summer trip but ran out of time. I have had the battery/controller/panel on a long term test in the back yard (with the battery and controller protected from the elements) It has been on since may and I test the battery occasionally for voltage and a load test. I also have swapped the battery into my k12 and R12. My load test is will it run my computer/lights/cell/etc for a significant amount of time!

All in all works great and there appears to be no detriment to the battery. Course I am just a tinkerer but this seems to be a winning combination. I might have to try adding a plug to the panel/controller and see if it can charge the scoots battery in situ. Of course while hauling the trailer the bike charges it. But setting up a base camp for a few days the sun will keep the battery charged for use at night.

In summary do not apply a solar panel directly to a battery. You should use a controller for protection and prevent overcharging of the battery. The controller I purchased was $10 at the time it is down to $5 hard to beat.

Hope this helps

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome info, thanks very much, never thought about the controller addition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome info, thanks very much, never thought about the controller addition.

My Pleasure

I see it is 30 degrees F ( -1 C) up your way with light snow. (Brr) I remember it well..Wait until the chinook comes and and melts everything then drive on the bare and dry roads.....!

going to be 87F (30F) today.... I actually do miss the snow wish it would snow one day in florida.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes we have a light dusting of snow overnight and still snowing lightly so will have to clear the walks today. Much different than your weather which doesn't require long pants & parka and gloves.

Earlier mention in the post about removing the battery which is certainly easy to do. However, something tells me (rightly or wrongly) that the battery should stay in the bike so the computer doesn't lose any settings.
Have you heard of this or could I simply remove the battery and put it on the BMW maintainer. I have used the maintainer since the bike was new however where I store the bike now has no power but I could pull the battery easy enough and bring it home.
Enjoy the sunshine & thanks for the info.
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard the battery should be left in the bike so the on board computer doesn't lose any settings? Have not done any research to validate or discount this though. I have the BMW battery maintainer and have used it for years so the solution of pulling the battery and storing it works providing there are no consequences with the bike`s computer.
Any more thoughts on thisÉ
Thanks for the feedback, and other options are welcome.
Dave.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I heard the battery should be left in the bike so the on board computer doesn't lose any settings? Have not done any research to validate or discount this though. I have the BMW battery maintainer and have used it for years so the solution of pulling the battery and storing it works providing there are no consequences with the bike`s computer.
Any more thoughts on thisÉ
Thanks for the feedback, and other options are welcome.
Dave.
Dave

Depends if your scoot is stored in heated or unheated digs. While I lived up there I had the 99 k12 and had to store it outside I kept the pc680 battery in it and disconnected it. When it got clear enough to ride I reconnected the pc680 and it started right up. Was unridden for about 4 months that year. The parasitic load from the bike is enough that the battery would have been ruined if left connected. Was surprised it actually started mind you as we had a couple of -40 weeks that year. I hated leaving it outside but condo living and all.

Now I keep both scoots on float with the optima charger from odyssey. (1 dual charger for the rtp dual batteries and a single for the K12) The K bike would go flat after about 2 months with no charge but the RTP just seems to last forever. That being said the extra battery in the RTP would die after about 2 weeks without a float charger ( I have lots of farkels on it) All of the bikes use the pc680 odyssey. Others have had problems Me I have great luck with them and long life.

Sorry I babble at times

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts