BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 R1200RT is cold natured. It reminds me of bikes before fuel injection. It starts up as it should every time,but it needs to idle for a few minutes before it will take gas. (Rev without stalling) it’s not a problem for me,but is this normal for these bikes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 07 R1200RT is cold natured. It reminds me of bikes before fuel injection. It starts up as it should every time,but it needs to idle for a few minutes before it will take gas. (Rev without stalling) it’s not a problem for me,but is this normal for these bikes.
My 2013 is the same way. When starting in colder weather (around here, that's in the 50's,) it will stall very easily when pulling away. After driving a short while, maybe a quarter to half mile, it performs normally. Kind of annoying, but I just have to be careful. I don't like to idle long before pulling out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2013 is the same way. When starting in colder weather (around here, that's in the 50's,) it will stall very easily when pulling away. After driving a short while, maybe a quarter to half mile, it performs normally. Kind of annoying, but I just have to be careful. I don't like to idle long before pulling out.
i guess that is normal for these bikes. Most fuel injected engines compandsate for cold starts and cold starts don’t make a difference. Reminds me of the carb and choke days.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
NO, that is NOT normal for the bike! Make sure that all normal maintenance have been done, and in particular check the valve clearance and more important, get the throttle body synch done! That last one is most likely to be your issue.

Note that I have owned and ridden a, '07 RT for many years! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO, that is NOT normal for the bike! Make sure that all normal maintenance have been done, and in particular check the valve clearance and more important, get the throttle body synch done! That last one is most likely to be your issue.

Thanks for the info. I only know the original owner purchase the bike new and his dealer did all the service at BMW recommended intervals. I don’t know if the BMW dealer service was good at maintenance service or not. I did ask if the final drive lube had been changed,and he said the dealer changed it at the last service. Bike has 22,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Thanks for that info, PadG. When I had my bike in for fuel pump recall a couple of months ago, I requested throttle body sync, but the dealer came back and said their computer was down or some such lame excuse so I didn't have it done. Maybe time for some You Tube video research!

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 2005 needed a little warmup on cold mornings, but not longer than it took me to get my helmet buttoned up and my gloves on. It might stall if I blipped the throttle real fast until fully warmed up, but that was very rare. My current 2016 runs like a car. Its fires immediately in all temps and is ready to go at all times.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
304 Posts
the dealer came back and said their computer was down or some such lame excuse
Their computer measures the vacuum in the two intake tubes so without it they cannot do the job. I.e. they didn't just try to brush you off. There are a couple of devices in your neck of the woods that most people use to balance the throttle bodies. If you google "RT throttle body synch" you should get some hits. One is electronic, backyard job but very good and the other is a pair of simple vacuum gauges.

The hardest bit about performing the job is removing the body panels to get to the intakes. I had an '06 RT and did this a few times.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
You can rig up a fairly simple manometer, if you are handy. Several YouTube video on that, but if you plan on doing your own maintenance in the future, you should buy a fairly simple electronic device to do the same job. Price is around $100+/-.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Beemer boneyard sells them. I bought one to balance the throttle bodies on my 2005 and it worked great.

Reactions: PadG

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
My 07 has never experienced anything like having a "cold nature".
The only BMW I've ever owned that HAS been a cold nature beast was a 1973 R75/5 I bought new in CO.
It needed a few minutes to get its' act together and run properly. It would run on an immediate start-up, but it really didn't like it.
I've always been the "start it, wait a minute for some oil to start moving around under me and then I'm gone on most of the bikes I've owned.

·
Premium Member
5,841 Posts
Beemer boneyard sells them. I bought one to balance the throttle bodies on my 2005 and it worked great.
Yep, and I had almost bought one! I had a Twinmax that would have been much more expensive, but back then I had found one on eBay at a very good price. When I upgraded to a new wethead, I sold the unit to one of the guy on this forum for something like $35.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts