BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have those days when you plan, the night before, to ride into work regardless of what the weather is... then you get up and it's cold, or raining or your lazy... but then you KNOW that if you end up not riding you'll be kicking yourself all day for taking the car.

Well, as soon as I get my core temperature back to at least that of a reptile, I'll crack a smile that I rode in today!!

On the up side, I did set a personal record for low temperature riding!!

Again, as soon as there is no risk of injuring myself by cracking a frozen limp, I will jump up and cheer!!

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Lawrence… I am glad to here you ventured out on two wheels! Now about at temp, I will post my next ride with a picture of the temperature on the dash, should be tonight with our Monday night meat and great as long as there is no snow on the ground. Last year I went to Louisville KY from Windsor Ontario to the truck show and I had a temp. 0f -15c on the way down. Yes it was cold but when I got there it was 25c ! (warm)
Sorry about the Celsius thing, I need to get my dealer to switch it over to standard.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Could have done the same today. Didn't. They are picking up my bike tomorrow for the first service and I didn't want to queer it. I know it's superstitious...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, I did something similar last Friday. Got on the bike and it read 37 degrees with the “snow flake”. I had not seen that before. So I went for a 300 mile ride and enjoyed every moment, yes I was bundled up. When I got home I told my wife about the snow flake and that I was not sure what it meant since I had not seen it before. (guess I should have see this coming) – She said that it meant you are “stupid” for riding in that temperature. Oh well, I had a great time anyway….

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dang! Beat me by five degrees! It was 22 this AM and yes, I did consider the cage and the heat and the stereo and then thought - Our governor blamed the "wussies" for postponing the game between the Eagles and the Vikings. I have the heated seat and grips plus the Gerbing jacket. I am not a "wuss." I rode.

·
Registered
331 Posts
bmendenhall said:
Well, I did something similar last Friday. Got on the bike and it read 37 degrees with the “snow flake”. I had not seen that before. So I went for a 300 mile ride and enjoyed every moment, yes I was bundled up. When I got home I told my wife about the snow flake and that I was not sure what it meant since I had not seen it before. (guess I should have see this coming) – She said that it meant you are “stupid” for riding in that temperature. Oh well, I had a great time anyway….
Your wife was...well...right! But what the h..ll. I do it too (with similar words from my wife) and I love it. I guess that I just love being out on the road. But be careful of "black" ice. It may be the last thing that you DO NOT see.

brselman

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tracus said:
Dang! Beat me by five degrees! It was 22 this AM and yes, I did consider the cage and the heat and the stereo and then thought - Our governor blamed the "wussies" for postponing the game between the Eagles and the Vikings. I have the heated seat and grips plus the Gerbing jacket. I am not a "wuss." I rode.

EXACTLY my sentiment! I could have used some electric clothing though! That would have been nice!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
(She said that it meant you are “stupid” for riding in that temperature). :histerica
WOW have I herd that befor :rotf:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
EXACTLY my sentiment! I could have used some electric clothing though! That would have been nice!!
Were you bad last year? Did Santa overshoot Lawrence, KS? Bummer!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
This was my coldest morning so far this year. It takes 4 miles before my wifes car starts to blow out warm air. I don't get chilled one bit on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gotta love Gerbing gear. It was 25 today on my commute and I turned down the heat. I've ridden in temps as cold as 12 and the only reason I haven't ridden in colder temps is because that's as cold as it has been here in VA since I got back into riding.

People can't believe I ride on days like this. In truth, the coldest part of my commute is the walk from my bike to the front door. My ears get cold without the helmet on.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Took matters into my own hands today. Bought a Gerbing's jacket and G3 gloves today!

Now, I laugh at 20 degrees! Bring on the cold!!
:thumb:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not to bad riding in to work this morning,when I left at 5:15 temp was about 41,now its up to 53 and I still have 3 hours to go :( Tomorrow a nice ride to The University of Alabama for some Dreamland BBQ,Temp's should be in the mid 50's.It sure is rough ridding in the winter :histerica .Have fun and get out and ride...

·
Registered
215 Posts
quote:
(This was my coldest morning so far this year. It takes 4 miles before my wifes car starts to blow out warm air. I don't get chilled one bit on the bike.)

what weight oil are you guys using? just wondering

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
twincruise said:
quote:
(This was my coldest morning so far this year. It takes 4 miles before my wifes car starts to blow out warm air. I don't get chilled one bit on the bike.)

what weight oil are you guys using? just wondering
I ride a LT and in the winter I use 15 W40 in the summer 20W50

·
Registered
215 Posts
thanks

I think I could deal with the temperature but with the snow and ice and SAND I won't ride until
late feb or march

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
twincruise said:
thanks

I think I could deal with the temperature but with the snow and ice and SAND I won't ride until
late feb or march
I'm with you on the sand! Fortunately, we've had only a dusting of snow so far this year, so very lite sand.. this time last year we had over 24 inches on the ground!

Used my Gerbing's today for first time. Ran the jacket liner and gloves at about 1/2 - 3/4 max all the way in. Temp ranged from 28-35 and I was totally comfortable!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts