BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the expected cold cranking amps would be from our batteries??

.....was out riding yesterday..had a couple of failed first start attempts with a

... battery indication light and the word 'check' momentarily :(

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
You will find that batteries typically used on the RT to be in the neighborhood of 200CCA.

You have a 2011 bike and suspect battery problems? Dealer time.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
If you are having battery problems, do not hesitate to take it back. Doesn't happen often, but occassionally the factory batteries are defective (e.g., 1 dead cell; 5 cells give enough juice to operate things just "ok" but no deep reserve). A load test by the dealer will give a definitive go/no go.

·
Registered
2011 RT
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input Gentlemen!...and hopz for the speedy c.c.a. figure, had it before my friend arrived.

I had my auto electric friend come down this afternoon and he brought his load testing equipment along. This is what we found:

We applied 100 for 15 sec. and maintained 10.5 v.

Made 5-6 starts and checked starter amp draw...read from 165 - w/ a spike of 208 amps, no other 'check' indicators appeared today on the screen as yesterday when making my starts...but these were cold starts in the garage.

The battery read on the outside.. 170 amps..seems to me these batteries are a little light for the amount of starter draw they pull..not like an autos.

As soon as the weather improves I'll take it out again and do some hot starts to see if temperature plays with it..and just observe to see if it happens again..hope not!

·
Registered
747 Posts
RT motors are very tight when new. It would be interesting to see draw figures for a broken in motor also.

My 08 still runs its original battery and cranked so slowly in the cold when new that I was concerned about both battery size and adequacy of the stock starter design. However, all of this behavior has disappeared after running the bike past break in. It cranks decently and starts easily in 20 degree weather on its original battery.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Your starter amp draw seems very high.
The positive battery lead is 4mm or AWG 6 (didn't measure it, it's what I see on the print)the max amp draw recommended for that size is 100. Doesn't make sense that BMW would size a cable designed for 100 amps for a system that can spike over 200 ????

When I tested the amp draw on my 09 RT it was in the low 50's

Looked at another print and that one shows 10mm wire which is good for 320 amps.
I'll have to check the amp draw again but that does seem high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts