BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what code reader works with BMW bikes, as I'd like to be able to read the codes from that easily and was wondering if I could get by with one for all vehicles I have, including my American made four wheel vehicles. Are they different systems? I think the plugs are different as I've never seen anything like the auto connector on the bike. Can an adapter be made? Also is there one that works with the CAN bus? I don't have a bike with that now, but quite possibly could have in the future. I understand also that some cars have the CAN bus also. I might even have that in my 09 Pontiac Vibe, but never had to work on it, so I don't know.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
tonyn1 said:
I was wondering what code reader works with BMW bikes, as I'd like to be able to read the codes from that easily and was wondering if I could get by with one for all vehicles I have, including my American made four wheel vehicles. Are they different systems? I think the plugs are different as I've never seen anything like the auto connector on the bike. Can an adapter be made? Also is there one that works with the CAN bus? I don't have a bike with that now, but quite possibly could have in the future. I understand also that some cars have the CAN bus also. I might even have that in my 09 Pontiac Vibe, but never had to work on it, so I don't know.
The OBD standard for US cars has nothing to do with the BMW system. For years the only way to get a code readout of a BMW bike was to take it to a dealer.

A few years ago the GS-911 became available and it was a great leap forward. The folks who make the GS-911 keep on improving the functions and adding bikes. I purchased one a few years ago and have downloaded upgraded software for it a few times. Never a charge for the upgraded software.

Somewhere on this site is a registry of folks who have a GS-911,

Here's where you can get your own: http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-buy.php

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CharlieVT said:
The OBD standard for US cars has nothing to do with the BMW system. For years the only way to get a code readout of a BMW bike was to take it to a dealer.

A few years ago the GS-911 became available and it was a great leap forward. The folks who make the GS-911 keep on improving the functions and adding bikes. I purchased one a few years ago and have downloaded upgraded software for it a few times. Never a charge for the upgraded software.

Somewhere on this site is a registry of folks who have a GS-911,

Here's where you can get your own: http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-buy.php
They're pretty pricey for something one would only use occasionally and only work on BMW MCs. Do they work with the new CAN bus? Is one able to use them in tune ups somehow? I need a good reason to spend this much, something other than to read an occasional fault code.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
tonyn1 said:
They're pretty pricey for something one would only use occasionally and only work on BMW MCs. Do they work with the new CAN bus? Is one able to use them in tune ups somehow? I need a good reason to spend this much, something other than to read an occasional fault code.
There is a registry of GS991 owners on this site. There may be some one near you who would be willing to plug their GS911 into your bike to do a check for you. Stop by my little shop of horrors here in the deep south of Vermont and I'll do it for you.

Those of us who do our own maintainance found that the local BMW dealer wanted an appointment and an hour's worth of labor to plug our bikes into the BMW MoDiTek computer for a fault check. It doesn't take too many such appointments to pay for a GS911. Additional functions have been added to the GS911 over the years including ability to reset ABS faults.

It isn't about whether the bike is CANBUS or not, just look to see if your bike is a covered model. As for what bikes it will work on, check here:
http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-function-chart.php#models

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
CharlieVT said:
There is a registry of GS991 owners on this site. There may be some one near you who would be willing to plug their GS911 into your bike to do a check for you. Stop by my little shop of horrors here in the deep south of Vermont and I'll do it for you.

Those of us who do our own maintainance found that the local BMW dealer wanted an appointment and an hour's worth of labor to plug our bikes into the BMW MoDiTek computer for a fault check. It doesn't take too many such appointments to pay for a GS911. Additional functions have been added to the GS911 over the years including ability to reset ABS faults.

It isn't about whether the bike is CANBUS or not, just look to see if your bike is a covered model. As for what bikes it will work on, check here:
http://www.gs911usa.com/gs-911-function-chart.php#models
Where might I find the registry? I searched on GS911 and found this post. I then searched on GS911 and registry and found this thread again and three others, but no registry.

I am coming up on my 24K and am thinking about buying a 911, but if someone is not too far away, I'd be happy to pay to have my codes read. Then again, where I live, virtually everything is far away!

I have read the web site and exchanged some email, but am still not clear as to what all the MoDiTec can do that the 911 can't. I understand the ABS bleed test is one thing. Can the 911 read the stats that the MoDiTec can read such as number of times the ABS was actuated, etc.? My last print-out from the dealer was pretty comprehensive!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
The GS-911 registry is a sticky in the Bike Talk forum. It will do just about everything except the ABS bleed test.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
jzeiler said:
The GS-911 registry is a sticky in the Bike Talk forum. It will do just about everything except the ABS bleed test.
Thanks, I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
jzeiler said:
Looks like LAF is the closest to me, and he is about 3 hours away. Next up is either CharlieVT or a gentlemen in Cincinnati and both of those are more than 6 hours distant.

LAF, I believe you said you no longer rode a BMW. If my recollection is correct, do you have any interest in selling your GS911?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Voyager said:
Looks like LAF is the closest to me, and he is about 3 hours away. Next up is either CharlieVT or a gentlemen in Cincinnati and both of those are more than 6 hours distant.

LAF, I believe you said you no longer rode a BMW. If my recollection is correct, do you have any interest in selling your GS911?
Matt, I bought Lee's last week.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Yes Dick has mine. Could a Admin Edit that in the GS-911 forum?

I would say someone may mail one to you to use if you are desperate, but you will need to download the app to your laptop to use it on the bike to watch live view of the system, check and clear codes and such.

They are a bit pricey but if I was riding a BMW I would own one as I did! They are becoming more and more advanced in what they can do as the code becomes less proprietary due to the age of the LT and the age of the ECU. If you are going to keep an LT to "death do you part" then bite the bullet. If you can clear a few codes and check all your running parameters live, it is worth it. Sure beats running to a dealer. However it does not do what the whiz machine they have can, but in most cases no need for all that either.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
LAF said:
Yes Dick has mine. Could a Admin Edit that in the GS-911 forum
Done.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Dick said:
Matt, I bought Lee's last week.
Good deal! Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I will just have to break down a buy a brand spankin' new one! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts