BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Have you done a coast to coast trip on your bike?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of us have been from one coast to another?

Not looking for a scientefiic debate on what that means, but from one State with an Atlantic coast line to a West Coast state with a Pacific coast line.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are referring to the CC50 then I have not done the sanctioned ride, which is coast to coast in 50 hr. I have done the "Southern California Motorcycle Club" four corner ride in 07. I left central new york and drove to Maine, Florida, California, and Washington state. Down the east coast across the bottom portion and up the west coast and finally across the central part to miss out on the northern states storms. The only rain encountered was in the Sunshine State of Florida. It was a real blast. Would like to do it again but stay off the Super slab as much as possible this time.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
pauleknight said:
I was wondering how many of us have been from one coast to another?

Not looking for a scientefiic debate on what that means, but from one State with an Atlantic coast line to a West Coast state with a Pacific coast line.
Did a fun ride a year ago. Look here.
:D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have a difficult time understanding the XXXX MIle runs for the fun of it! I ;ove to ride and my wife thinks I look for excuses to to get on the bike, I just don't understand a distance ride for the "miles."

Seems like the old Vacation movie where you ride 2,500 miles to see the Grand Canyon and then stop for only 15 seconds, take a picture to be seen later, then turnaround and off to the next sight. In my mind you miss so much on the way.

To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination..... I'm not really looking forward to the destination.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with Dan. I do like to make good time on the road and then rest and relax for a longer time at destination stops.

BTW Dan, how long would it take you to ride coast to coast? A few hours at most? Not too much distance between the Atlantic and Gulf coasts?

DanDiver said:
I have a difficult time understanding the XXXX MIle runs for the fun of it! I ;ove to ride and my wife thinks I look for excuses to to get on the bike, I just don't understand a distance ride for the "miles."

Seems like the old Vacation movie where you ride 2,500 miles to see the Grand Canyon and then stop for only 15 seconds, take a picture to be seen later, then turnaround and off to the next sight. In my mind you miss so much on the way.

To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination..... I'm not really looking forward to the destination.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wa1200lt said:
I agree with Dan. I do like to make good time on the road and then rest and relax for a longer time at destination stops.

BTW Dan, how long would it take you to ride coast to coast? A few hours at most? Not too much distance between the Atlantic and Gulf coasts?
I did say Atlantic to Pacific. It would take only about 2.5 hours to got Atlantic to Gulf for me.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did it in 1970. My avatar photo is the bike and "riding gear" I did it in. I was stationed on the east coast and took orders back to Viet Nam, so had to get to the west coast asap to catch my ride. Took me 6 days. I still remember the trip fondly, the rash not so much. Wish they had monkey butt powder back in those days.

·
Registered
292 Posts
does th Washington State coast to the Alakaskan Coast via AlCan quailfy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My brother and I did a 48 state ride three years ago. Thirteen days and 9200 miles. Very doable and an awesome way to see this great country. I was on my HD Ultra and he has Gold Wing. No mechanical problems with either. Highly recommend and encourage everyone to do it

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yikes! 707.7 miles per day! See DanDivers post! I hope you brought your camera so you can see what you missed. Great accomplishment and should provide you with a lot of stories to tell for years to come!

BTW, which CONUS state did you miss?

billragon said:
My brother and I did a 48 state ride three years ago. Thirteen days and 9200 miles. Very doable and an awesome way to see this great country. I was on my HD Ultra and he has Gold Wing. No mechanical problems with either. Highly recommend and encourage everyone to do it

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought my 05 LT on eBay and flew to FL to pick it up.
I rode from Boca Raton to Los Angeles in 3 days about 3k miles.
At the end of day 1 I stayed at the house of a member of this board near Baton Rouge. Got busted at 92 mph in Western TX at the end of day 2, which later prompted me to get a radar detector on my bike. Got one in each vehicle now.
Day 3 was the longest, but like a horse smelling the stables I kept on going until I got home.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Re: Coast to Coast ride

10,000 miles in 30 days on a R90/6, two up with camping gear.
30 days leave from the USN.
Submarine Base Groton CT, to Vermont to Niagra Falls, Mackinaw Straights Bridge, Wisconsin, Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellow Stone, Glacier NP, Mt Rainer, down rte 101 along the coast of Oregon, Washington, and Calif, the Golden Gate, San Francisco, Yosemite NP, Tonopah NV, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Denver, Kansas, and the great midwest, West VA, Skyline Dr, Wash DC and the Northeast Corridor and back to Vermont. Then back to Subase Groton to check in off leave.
(Addenum: I married the girl who rode on back that trip; World's Greatest Pillion Rider. )
The most recent time we headed in that direction we only made it to Utah. :histerica

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alaska!! Cldnt get the extra 4 days off to make it. Left at 0600 rode to 6-7 pm. Wasn't bad like opening a US geography page every day

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
DanDiver said:
To me, it's definitely the journey, not the destination...
And yet you keep stopping at all these intermediate "destinations". :D

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to do. I've done many flower-sniffing rides and enjoyed all of them. I've also done literally dozens of thousand-mile days, and probably half a dozen 1,500-mile days.

I just wrapped up a 3-week, 10,000-mile trip on the GT. Started in SoCal, headed through Arkansas and Missouri, then on to Ohio and across to Boston, before passing through Maine on my way to upstate NY. The return trip took me across Canada and through Minnesota, before dropping down to Colorado and then across to Utah, where the low was 36°. The final leg dropped back down through Arizona and Nevada, where the high was 117° before crossing into SoCal and got me home on the 21st day. 5 of those were non-riding days, and 2 were local days of under 50 miles.

That covered 30 states, 1 Canadian province, 5 national parks, 3 relatives, 2 LD Endurance Rallies (both of which I won), and a whole pile of friends. It was a good ride. :)

To me, there is just something about being on the bike and moving that is almost indescribable. There might be a vague excuse for a destination, or I might be high-tailing it out to visit a customer, or family or friends (and thus avoiding TSA and all that mess). But it is there mere fact of riding, of being in motion and intimately aware of your surroundings that I find intriguing. The destination, final or even intermediate, is almost irrelevant.

You just can't replicate that anywhere else. You simply have to get out and get the miles in, in whatever manner pleases you the most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts