BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this may sound like a dumb question but I didn't know and instead of letting my pride get in the way of knowledge I opted to ask. :eek:
I recently purchase a Clymer Manual for my LT off eBay and in it's description it states that:

"Note: this manual DOES NOT cover transverse mounted four-cylinder models."

So the question I have is. "What is a transverse mounted 4-cyl engine?"

Thanks
TOM G.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If your Clymer's manual has a "M501-2" in the upper corner and looks like this ....you're good to go.....it'll take you as far as you desire to push your mechanical expertise! I would also recommend the BMW Repair Manual CD.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
tom39 said:
I know this may sound like a dumb question and everyone but I didn't know and instead of letting my pride get in the way of knowledge I opted to ask. :eek:
I recently purchase a Clymer Manual for my LT of eBay and int eh description it states that:

"Note: this manual DOES NOT cover transverse mounted four-cylinder models."

So the question I have is. "What is a transverse mounted 4-cyl engine?"

Thanks
TOM G.
Engine orientation is referenced to the axis of the crank shaft of the engine. So, a longitudinal engine is one where the crank shaft runs parallel to the LONG axis of the motorcycle or car. The K1200LT has a longitudinal engine as do the R bikes since the crank runs front to back along the long axis of the bike.

The new K series bikes have the crank shaft running left to right or crosswise to the long axis of the motorcycle and thus are transverse engines. So, I think the manual is just saying that it applies to the flying brick 4 cyliner engines in the LT and not the new K series with the cross-wise crank orientation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlauBeeMr,

"M501-2" in the upper corner and looks the same.
Voyager,

That makes sense, simpler than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for the info. Good thing I got up this morning, learn something every day.

Thanks Everyone
TOM G.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts