BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of the Clymer manual and on page 455 the description of the ABS II brake system says "Applying the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal automatically applies both the front and rear brakes." My year 2000 K1200lt I believe has ABS II as it has Brembo on the front calipers but the handle bar lever operates the front brake and foot pedal the rear brake, so has Clymer got it wrong or am I wrong?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
gdb32 said:
I have just taken delivery of the Clymer manual and on page 455 the description of the ABS II brake system says "Applying the front brake lever or the rear brake pedal automatically applies both the front and rear brakes." My year 2000 K1200lt I believe has ABS II as it has Brembo on the front calipers but the handle bar lever operates the front brake and foot pedal the rear brake, so has Clymer got it wrong or am I wrong?
You're right - you've got ABSII system like the '99s. I haven't read a Clymer, so can't say why they printed that - you might give them a short note and ask for an explanation, or point it out to 'em.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yup, Dick is right.
(Dick is always right, (in addition to being an all round really nice guy)).

Your 2000 has ABS but not linked brakes. IMO it is better! Not only do you not have to wonder what brakes are being applied when you hit the front or rear brake, the service on flushing the brake system is better.
2000's are the best!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2009, I know the brakes are linked, but can you "drag" the back brake and it no effect the front brake? What I'm wondering is a low speeds if you grab the front brake you're going to go down, but if you press the rear brake you're fine. Just my question

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Charlie! Stick to final drives and bearings!

Early 2001's (mfg in late 2000) are the best! Because they are so much newer! Not only is the flush easier on the ABS II systems there is no servo assist and associated complexity to worry about.

The brakes on my "Best Year" 2001 are the best of any motorcycle I've owned. I can't imagine what the newer generation brakes are like. I rode my '81 Yamaha Maxim last week and the brakes terrified me. They were absolutely horrible! Before the LT they seemed fine. What a difference!

And you are right. Dick is ALWAYS right, even when he's wrong! ;)

You guys are both great assets to the site!

Loren

CharlieVT said:
Yup, Dick is right.
(Dick is always right, (in addition to being an all round really nice guy)).

Your 2000 has ABS but not linked brakes. IMO it is better! Not only do you not have to wonder what brakes are being applied when you hit the front or rear brake, the service on flushing the brake system is better.
2000's are the best!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts