BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my lt had a new clutch fitted about 4 yrs ago but now when riding two up if i give it a hand full of revs iam getting clutch slip only in top gear iam on about 51000 mls on a 2000 bike we have not done a lot f miles since the cltch replacement .bike runs great no other probs what i was wondering is could it be anything els other than a knackard clutch causing it contamination i know about but to check that its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ i have booked it in for a new clutch but was just wondering is there an easy way to check it out

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
132 Posts
Bill:

Any oil leaking onto the ground or side/center stand assembly. I completed changing my clutch with the assistance of many on this forum, and from my understanding there are two issues that can/will contaminate the clutch the first go to is the O-ring in the output shaft (crankshaft) from the engine and or the rear main seal, more the former. The second is the Clutch slave cylinder. Two different oils to look for. If you can wrench on it yourself, it's a big job, but you'll save $$$ in someone else's pocket. Of course with riding season here, it may be better to let an experienced mechanic do ,and turn it around sooner?

Best of luck with this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers i dont have any leaks that show my big prob is having the time to do it as iam pretty good with a spanner having many classic cars but the lt is my wifes taxi as i ride a hayabusa aswell so best let the xperts take my money better safe than sorry as they say cheers fgor you reply

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Check your fluid level in the clutch reservoir. If the slave cylinder started leaking, it only has one way to go, into the clutch, down the pushrod tube. If your clutch reservoir has lost fluid, that could be a possible method of contamination. The other possibility is the dreaded O-ring behind the clutch basket nut. Did you replace that with the clutch?

On the other hand, it is totally possible to burn up a dry clutch in a short period of time if you continually slip it with higher revs on start out so if no leaks, how do you use that clutch? do you keep the revs low and feather it out or do you get on it form the start?

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anybody have a picture of the filler flap push lock not the bit on the flap the other bit mine fell apart its doing my head trying to suss it oput n#

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your fluid level in the clutch reservoir. If the slave cylinder started leaking, it only has one way to go, into the clutch, down the pushrod tube. If your clutch reservoir has lost fluid, that could be a possible method of contamination. The other possibility is the dreaded O-ring behind the clutch basket nut. Did you replace that with the clutch?

On the other hand, it is totally possible to burn up a dry clutch in a short period of time if you continually slip it with higher revs on start out so if no leaks, how do you use that clutch? do you keep the revs low and feather it out or do you get on it form the start?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts