BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hooray me..

Working on TexasRider's bike. I finished putting everything back together after replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and rear main seal. The rear main seal had originally let go and caused the clutch to slip. It wasn't pretty. The clutch slave cylinder was showing signs of beginning to go as well, so I replaced it too.

Got everything put back together, put 50 miles on it trouble free. Started to make the 400 mile trek south to return the LT and pickup my RT, and the clutch started slipping worse than it was before 50 miles in. So, something went awry at less than 100 miles of use.

I took everything back apart *again*. Only took me 5 hours this time. I could beat book time at this rate! haha!

The brand new clutch slave cylinder failed! ARGH! Hydraulic fluid *everywhere*. I purchased the clutch slave from an online supplier well known to all of us in the BMW community. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and have them send me a new clutch slave. I'm going to also see if I can get them to send me a new clutch plate also, since I just ruined a brand new one thanks to their clutch slave that failed

Hopefully they will take care of this. From things I've read and heard in the past, I think they will, so I will give them the chance to make things right.

*Keeping fingers crossed tomorrow doesn't turn into a drama filled nightmare*

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Good luck with that. Sucks a lot to do it once, never mind about twice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No clue. I wish I knew. Only thing I can chalk it up to is a bad new unit. Rare I'm sure, but unfortunately I got it.

I bolted it and bled it per the manual before I put anything else on the bike. After I got everything together *just* enough to ride it, I zip-tied the license place to the subframe and took it around the block for a mile to make sure nothing was slipping and all was well. That test ride checked out perfect, as did the next ride of 50 miles or so. One day after that 50 mile ride is when I left to return the bike. 50 miles into THAT ride is when all hell broke loose.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What popped in my mind was a problem with the rod (not sure of the tech name) that the slave pushes. Could that be installed wrong, or worn in a manner that would make it too short, allowing the slave valve to over extend and "pop" or bleed past it's normal extended position?
I've had mine out, but don't recall enough to know if that makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
fpmlt said:
What popped in my mind was a problem with the rod (not sure of the tech name) that the slave pushes. Could that be installed wrong, or worn in a manner that would make it too short, allowing the slave valve to over extend and "pop" or bleed past it's normal extended position?
I've had mine out, but don't recall enough to know if that makes any sense at all.
The push rod pretty much goes in only "one way". Notch (shoulder) on the rearward side is much smaller, so if you put it in backwards, you wouldn't be able top get the slave back on at all. If in backwards, the rod protrudes too much.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Having done a clutch this summer, I feel your pain. My slave came from the same preferred provider as I believe yours did. I have little doubt they will make the slave right, and am optimistic they will make the clutch plate right as well and then seek to recover from their supplier.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Having done a clutch this summer, I feel your pain. My slave came from the same preferred provider as I believe yours did. I have little doubt they will make the slave right, and am optimistic they will make the clutch plate right as well and then seek to recover from their supplier.
I am curious; are these non-BMW supplied parts? I am fortunate to still be on my original clutch and slave cylinder at 33,000, but one never knows when the grim LT-reaper will visit so I am always on the look-out for parts sources, particularly those that might be better than the OEM parts.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Might have been worth the effort to drill the weep hole, at least it might have saved the clutch plate.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
jzeiler said:
Might have been worth the effort to drill the weep hole, at least it might have saved the clutch plate.
+ 1 John, Just might have been the first time to verify if the drilling the hole works. :)

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
If the supplier is the same one frequently used/promoted by this forum I believe they will take good care of you. The last two slave cylinders I've bought from them are exactly the same as the ones I've bought from a dealer which were the Magura brand. I've only seen one bad cylinder out of more then a dozen. That particular unit had a frozen bearing and the rod was burnt too. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
g-rex said:
Hooray me..

Working on TexasRider's bike. I finished putting everything back together after replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and rear main seal. The rear main seal had originally let go and caused the clutch to slip. It wasn't pretty. The clutch slave cylinder was showing signs of beginning to go as well, so I replaced it too.

Got everything put back together, put 50 miles on it trouble free. Started to make the 400 mile trek south to return the LT and pickup my RT, and the clutch started slipping worse than it was before 50 miles in. So, something went awry at less than 100 miles of use.

I took everything back apart *again*. Only took me 5 hours this time. I could beat book time at this rate! haha!

The brand new clutch slave cylinder failed! ARGH! Hydraulic fluid *everywhere*. I purchased the clutch slave from an online supplier well known to all of us in the BMW community. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and have them send me a new clutch slave. I'm going to also see if I can get them to send me a new clutch plate also, since I just ruined a brand new one thanks to their clutch slave that failed

Hopefully they will take care of this. From things I've read and heard in the past, I think they will, so I will give them the chance to make things right.

*Keeping fingers crossed tomorrow doesn't turn into a drama filled nightmare*
For those of us that are unable to "read between the lines" Who is the "preferred supplier"?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
They also sell used parts.

But I support witholding a badmouthing before they have a chance to step in it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've been itching to get my hands on one of these failed slave cylinders (posted in the past). From advice from John Z and others, it appears that the failure mode is a failed thrust bearing in the slave assembly, possibly due to running dry after some period. The slaves are said to not be rebuildable, but I'd like to do a post mortem on one as it may be that we can improve the life and reliability of that part. Please someone, open up a failed slave and give a detailed account of what is found. I intend to sacrafice some service life as my maintenance strategy, possibly around the 60,000 Km mark, replace with a brand new unit from BBY. Till then I'll continue to frequently check the weep hole.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
For those of us that are unable to "read between the lines" Who is the "preferred supplier"?

Thanks, Robert.
I'm pretty sure I know, but I agree 100% with not naming names until they have a chance to address the problem. Too easy for someone to do a future search and find the problem and never see the solution. I am all for calling out a lousy vendor, but there is a time and place for that and this is not yet that time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts