BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any brave souls in the Twin Cities of MN that would be willing to help me with a clutch teardown/rebuild? A few weeks ago I was out riding and experienced the clutch slipping in 4th and 5th gear, and yesterday there was a substantial amount of fluid on the ground underneath the main seal. When I told my wife the bad news, she recommended I take it in to get it fixed, but that option was quickly met with a look of extreme shock when I sheepishly mentioned the cost of repairing.
I've been taking my bike to Blue Cat Motorcycle in Saint Paul, and I'm going to get a ballpark quote, but I would guess the cost of repair will be somewhere around $1,600+. My other option is to do the teardown myself, which I'm hesitant to do. I've replaced the rear rotor, brake caliper and brake lines myself, but the clutch rebuild appears to be very labor intensive. It would be great to have a mentor of sorts to help with the teardown and rebuild, but maybe with a little luck I can tackle it myself!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the document, it's well written and you did a great job organizing the project!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have not done this on a K12. I have done it on several other BMW's. It's not rocket science, but does require patience because you are going in to the belly of the beast. I'm in Fargo or I'd offer my assistance. I'm probably going down in a couple of weekends for the Airhead Tech day; I could stop by.

Some general tips:
Have lots of space for all the stuff you'll be taking off.
Don't force anything: Remember that some of the critical bolts are Loctite Red and need heat to remove.
Take photos as you disassemble for reference later.
Plan on it taking more time than you think - double or triple shop time is not unusual for a first timer.
Have secure space to leave it when you get frustrated or stuck. It's OK to walk away before your frustration leads to broken stuff co$ting more money to repair.
A lift will make your back very happy.

When done you'll have the immense pride of doing it yourself and saving enough dough to take a nice trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts