BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Clutch spline lube

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  johnbaker15 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 K12LT with 48K mi. I thought I should lube the driveshaft and clutch splines. The driveshaft splines looked great and still had lube. I have not removed the tranny yet and it looks like I must remove the ABS unit to get it out. My questions are -
Am I asking for trouble when disconnecting the ABS unit?
Is my clutch spline do for this work or am I doing unneeded work?
What kind of mileage are riders doing this clutch maintenance at?
It looks like I should drill the trans at clutch slave cylinder, right?
Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
The LT does not need periodic drive spline lube like the older BMW's did, It is not something you really ever have to worry about. It is not an item in the service schedule.

The clutch splines are never lubed, even when you replace the clutch.

#3 ·
+1 on what David said. You don't remove the ABS to get the tranny out but you do remove damn near everything else and tilt the enginge tranny assy down to clear the frame before you can remove the tranny.

#4 ·
You will find it is much easier to jack up the radiator cap and put a new bike under it than trying to remove the tranny and clutch assembly on the LT.

#5 ·
bigbear said:
You will find it is much easier to jack up the radiator cap and put a new bike under it than trying to remove the tranny and clutch assembly on the LT.
Then put a new radiator cap on!! :histerica :rotf:

#6 ·
well... If you would like pics of the process.. Let me know.. New (to me) '05 has a slipping clutch. Noticed it last week, and its gotten worse as of today. going to tear her down this week or next weekend. Agree on the clutch splines, there is no reason on this god given earth to tear the bike down, just to lube those splines...

However, you do not need to do half of the tear down the book states, The front motor mounts allow you to swing the motor free (down) enough to clear the ABS/Battery.

Somewhere there is a post of mine that shows what I did fairly well. Either way, good luck. the first time I did it (clutch replacement), it took me 12 hours! :rotf:

This time I should be able to speed that along.. :histerica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.