BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just noticed my clutch is slipping in the last week or two. Only in the higher gears, but nether the less, it is slipping under hard acceleration.

My question is, would you park the bike up until it's sorted.

Or,

Go on my planned trip, about 200 miles e/w plus maybe 100 miles tootling around whilst there.

Answers on a postacrd to :wave

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Were it me, I'd not go. Too expensive to try to get it home if something catastrophic occurs. What year bike, how many miles, weep holes drilled and any fluid leakage?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1999 bike
No weep holes
no visible fluid leakage
serviced two weeks ago with inspection by mechanic as he did service

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Well , I did the clutch on my bike last year ( new clutch , input shaft seals In the gear box , Rear main crank shaft seal + a few holes drilled, Slave & bell housing ....)...

So a few weeks ago , I road it over to BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids . A few miles from the Dealer the clutch starts sliping again . There was oil ( gear lube ) on the center stand when I got there.

I went there to take a 2010 R1200GS Adventure for a ride .I put a few hundred miles on it ... I really like it , anyway .

I tried to baby my bike back home . It did OK , & it didn't slip or anything for the first 60 miles , then it let go . It made quite a bit of racket ,... like the splines were striped . I got it to go in first , & a little on second gear , but it would loose all drive & spin up with a lot of clatter . I got it off the express way , & to a police station .

My friend was with me on his '99 LT , so he gave me a ride home . Then we went back with my truck & trailer the 60 miles to get it . Loaded it up , & took it back home . Got home after midnight .

So you might make it the 2-3 hundred miles , or mabe not . With the drag of the Hannigan 2+2 , I think there is a lot more stress on my clutch ... but who knows ...:bike:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cluthes slip, doesn't mean it will leave you stranded. You should be fine for 200 miles, but you need to fix the slave and replace the clutch. Sorry to see that happen after only 44k...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm strongly with cfell on this one. I just finished my bike (clutch and FD), and am going to take it for a test ride today. In prep for that, my flatbed trailer is hooked up to my pickup, and at least two people know where I'm headed. Maybe overly cautious, but should things go south, I have a way home. If you must go, at least let someone know where you're headed and the route you're taking.
Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the cars going to get to go on this trip :(

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
I rode mine for several more months and about 3,000 miles after it started slipping in top gear. It was fine and this clutch plate was still inside the wear limit wear limit when I changed it out. There was only a slight evidence of engine oil leakage once I got inside. I would only worry about it if there was evidence of slave or transmission oil leakage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts