BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,125 Posts
The challenge is that it is IN the clutch plates to some extent...only 1/2 of the surfaces are steel..
But the other surfaces are not going to absorb a whole lot of slick deeply hence can slip it right back off w/ a small cost to total clutch life....is the theory.

· Registered
91 Posts
But the other surfaces are not going to absorb a whole lot of slick deeply hence can slip it right back off w/ a small cost to total clutch life....is the theory.
Be surprised how little it takes to run a porous clutch disc..it MAY work out, or it may not. But you are not going to burn it off.

Any attempt to burn "it" out can just end up glazing the disc, now you ARE pulling things apart.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
Any attempt to burn "it" out can just end up glazing the disc, now you ARE pulling things apart.
Intentionally slipping the clutch a little more than you might otherwise as you're releasing the clutch is not really "burning" it though is it? as you're only letting it slip a little more when it's cold, not putting giant load on it and slipping it for a prolonged period where it could get hot and glaze. I bet it fixes itself after the correct oil is used over time unless it's already been glazed.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
598 Posts
In the U.S., yes. Otherwise postage makes it even more expensive. Plus that $89.99 is Australian dollars...
$53.00 USD delivered, on Amazon USA, should be $79.00 in AUD. Hmmm.... OH! I didn't see the following post, @Geekmaster already covered Amazon. But I will add that the $53 USD on Amazon USA buys 6 QUARTS, versus 4 LITERS (i.e. 4.25 US Quarts), or 29% MORE oil for 33% less money, or in simple terms, about 13% higher than Amazon's US (USD) prices (Gee, hope my math worked, that was a real chore to do impromptu at 3AM). Maybe the Aussie vendor is charging a VAT or Aussie customs, attached to their price. Amazon would add USA state and local taxes to that price (6%, for my state).
Amazon USA:
Castrol 06113 Power RS 5W-40 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil - 1 Quart, (Pack of 6)

By the way, if you have to ship in the USA, make sure you check out pirateship.com. They get brokered UPS and USPS prices, up to half price on UPS, no difference in the service, just someone with a bigger pocket book than you doing the contracting.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts