BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is starting to slip [not bad yet], but I see no oil or other fluid leak. 2005 with 13K on the clock. Thoughts?
PS I searched the clutch threads already.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
When the slave cylinder starts leaking, the clutch is contaminated WAY before any outside indication of a leak is evident. In fact, you can pump out just about all the clutch system brake fluid and never see external indication.

Since it is a 2005 I assume you still have warranty, so get it to a dealer. You either have a transmisson seal leaking or the slave cylinder has failed. Either requires clutch plate replacement along with the replacement of the failed seal or slave cylinder.

You don't have many miles on it, so no need to replace the engine rear oil seal while the clutch is out unless it shows signs of leaking.

DO replace the transmission input shaft seals if it is the slave cylinder, and if it is the rear transmission input shaft seal that has failed replace the slave cylinder.

Drill the drain hole while the job is being done!

·
Registered
835 Posts
clutch

MIne is slipping alsoin 4th and 5th gear under load(hill) and I crank on it. is your clutch fluid getting any lower. Mine in't yet but I don't know

·
Registered
74 Posts
Boys...Boys,

In the immortal words of a friend of mine "clutch problems don't get better".
Take those beasts to the dealer for inspection and hope it is a warranty issue and not a wear issue. Could be that you "burned up" that dry clutch. Let us know what you find out.

Steve
'04LT

·
Registered
62 Posts
BMW just replaced my clutch and slave cylinder (bike was out of factory warranty, originally purchased in June of 04 and I bought it in May of this year).
I had no sign of fluid leakage except that the clutch master cylinder was loosing fluid very gradually. Whether or not you have any indication of fluid leakage, get it to your dealer now. I waited until mine failed and I could have had it fixed much sooner. Luckily for me, mine failed in my driveway.

Just get it to the dealer and get it checked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
me too

same problem, '02 with 20k miles, no evidence of leak, clutch slipped when warm in higher gears. it was the slave cylinder. i put 10k more miles on before repairing. dealer said clutch was not worn out but replaced it because of the fluid contamination. don't wait if under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts