BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a ride to New Mexico this weekend with some buddies. Early on in the trip, I hammered down on the throttle from a dead stop while slipping the clutch a little in first gear. The bike took off for a few feet and then all of a sudden it was like I had pulled the clutch lever. The rpm maxed out and the bike wasn't moving any faster. I was afraid my trip might be in jeopardy, but it never acted up again. Clutch held all weekend and I didn't baby it at all. I hope I don't have a slave cyl. problem. Has anyone had the clutch slip like this and it not be the slave cyl or oil contamination? I have drilled the bell housing weep hole years ago and no oil is there. I should drill the slave hole but haven't . Is it possible to spin the clutch w/o contamination.25 k on an 02 model

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I think you found the weak spot on the LT which is the high first gear. It just won't let you dump the clutch and hammer it. You have to get the clutch fully engaged before you nail the throttle. At least that has been my experience.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
I agree with Steve, you "smoked" the linings of the clutch and it slipped. Should be OK after cool off. I did that one time in a second gear take off after an a__hole cut me off. Clutch was spinning like crazy and what a smell. That was four years ago and she has been working fine ever since.

I never get above 1800 RPM when starting out but once the clutch is engaged you can hammer it and leave everything in the dust. First gear is good to about 62 mph.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I at least know I'm not alone here. It freaked me out and all the different scenarios came to mind. I love this bike for traveling and didn't want to spend a lot of money on her right now. I would like to drill the weep for the slave cylinder some time though.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Steve_R said:
I think you found the weak spot on the LT which is the high first gear. It just won't let you dump the clutch and hammer it. You have to get the clutch fully engaged before you nail the throttle. At least that has been my experience.
+1 on this post, here I was waiting on my clutch to fail. It does the same thing. Got to love the shear plethora of information running through these posts.... :rolleyes:

P.S.- so how ya think that the "stunt" rider pulled off the wheelie on the LT? :confused:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
shoswell said:
P.S.- so how ya think that the "stunt" rider pulled off the wheelie on the LT? :confused:
I suppose your talking about the fellow in this video. If you'll pay attention he IS already moving when he pulls the wheelie so he's NOT doing it from a dead stop. You might want to read this post about him and how he toasted a clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The best indication of an impending clutch failure is to put high load on the clutch in 4th or 5th gear. Since the clutch loses it's mechanical advantage in the higher gears it will always slip first under high torque in the higher gears. As the clutch deteriorates it will slip more easily and you will see the slippage in the lower gears. By that point, going up even moderate inclines will cause slippage and you will see RPM increases without speed increase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts