BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the slave clutch cylinder on my 2009 K1200LT and found a lot of gunk on the seal. I can't get the push rod to come out, and looking for ideas on how to remove the seal.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

brichbr00
Bruce R.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
The only seal on the slave is internal and has nothing to do with the push rod. There is a bearing in the end of the slave that the push rod runs in, but you should be able to pull the rod out with a pair of pliers. The seal around the transmission shaft (where the push rod lives) is pressed in and if you are removing it because it is leaking oil then you need to carefully drill a small hole in the seal and insert a screw to pull the seal.

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you jzeiler for the quick response. I've tried inserting a screw, but can't get the seal to budge. As for the push rod, I've pulled on it with quit a bit of force and it feels like pulling on a spring.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
If your slave was leaking brake fluid it may have caused the seal to swell. This may require two holes and screws at 180 degrees from each other. As for the rod, there is an "anti rattle" felt sleeve in the notched part of the shaft which may also have absorbed fluid. Get a good grip on it and really tug.

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again John for your assistance, the photo is very helpful. I tried the two screws at 180. I'm going to an auto parts this morning to see if I can find a tool(s) to assist.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
If you haven't got the push rod out yet sometimes it gets stuck on the diaphragm spring. A twist and pull with needle nose vise grips is what I use.

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both for the information. This morning I purchased a slide hammer from Habor Freight which had a finger attachment in the kit that fit perfectly around the sheet metal screw I put in the seal. The second hammer motion popped the seal out. I took your advise and got a good grip on the push rod and gave a hardy pull and it came out. I feel lucky that the push rod was dry on the clutch side of the felt. Ordered my parts (including new push rod & felt ring), dealer said I should have them in 3-5 days.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Take a look at this link while you are waiting. Look at part B for info on getting the seal reinstalled to the correct depth. The depth from the slave boss to the top of the seal is 1.68 ". You can use the 21 MM socket and wrap tape on it and mark the line up 1.68 " from the end of the socket.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you John, I watched the three series videos prior to starting the repairs and marked the taped socket at the point the old seal was seated at before attempting to remove it. I will verify the 1.68" before seating the new seal.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
OK If you marked it you are good to go. I knew you had already pulled the seal, just didn't know you had watched my video before hand.

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, I really appreciate you taking the time to make the videos, I watched them three times before beginning my repair. I built a stand for the final drive unit from your idea, it works great. Thank you .

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
When installing the seal, check visually as you go. If you drive it in too far, it will expose an oil passage in the side of the seal bore and it will leak gear oil into that cavity and again down the pushrod to the clutch. The arrow points to the passsage that you don't want to uncover going too deep. This person got a little over zealous in seal removal and did some damage. Hope yours looks better than this.

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Gordon for that information. I was able to get the old seal out without any damage. Do you, or anyone have the dimensions of the tool used to insert the new seal so I can go to a machine shop and have one made, I saw John Zieler use one in his video.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts

·
Registered
2009 K1200LT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great stuff John, I’m getting a metal lathe from a friend soon, looking forward to making some the tools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts