BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some pics posted on clutch replacement procedures. Some pics show the air box still on. Is it possible to change the clutch without removing the air box?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I lifted to throttle bodes up to keep the TPS from getting hit by the frame as I lifted it high enough for the gear box to clear . I took the air box off , to make getting in there easer . But , you might get it apart with out taking it off .

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I wasn't able to lower the engine enough without removing the airbox. Believe me, I tried. And I did learn that the airbox can hold the weight of the engine.
If you do take the clamps off, watch how they go back on. If you reinstall the incorrectly, they'll interfere with throttle movement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't be afraid of this air box. It is only 4 clamps and 1 wire connection. when you get this off if yours has not been updated ( meaning different clamps) you can order these at www.bikebandit.com they are just a few dollars. Replace the 2 with screw type adjustment clamps like the other 2 are. You'll see what this is when you get that far. Be careful when tightening the clamps as you will want to check for proper clearance as you go. Check for throttle operations while tightening the clamps. If it is limited just loosen the appropriate clamp and turn then retighten and check again.
I hope this helps and good luck with your LT.
If you have questions just post it up here and someone will surely answer. It might be a smart ass answer but an answer all the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I got the air box off. Could I replace the crimp type clamps (2) with screw type? Tackling removing the drive and transmission next.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I tried that (replacing clamps) and it didn't work out well for me. As odd as the clip type are, I was able to reuse mine, and they went back on very easily. It's really all about being able to get a screwdriver to them, and throttle interference.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
I have done a clutch job and engine replacement and find that removing the entire assy at the throttle body junction to the engine is far easier. It also gets it up out of the way and allow more movement of the engine. I also remove the front mount bolts (one at a time) and replace with long 1/4 bolts. It gives you the ability to swing the whole engine/trans around to clear the frame easier. Don't forget to disconnect the starter feed wire back at the juction block behind the battery before you drop the assembly down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I replaced all of my pinch clamps on my throttle bodies with the screw variety (BMW). You have to spend "some" time with the ones on the throttle bodies as some of them can only be in one direction and still be accessible for removal and not interfere with the opening and closing of the throttle. I have a bunch of the spring clamps that I could not find a tool to clamp them. I can easily screw and unscrew the others.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts