BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious at what mileage those of you out there had to replace the clutch for non-seal/slave related failures. I am talking about normal wear. About how many miles can one expect to go before the big project comes due? I know many variables affect this, just looking for a random sampling from the LT community. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have 70k miles on my '99, mostly long tours. I have the clutch out to replace the rear engine seal. It measures .23 inches thick. The dealer checked a new clutch at .25 inches and the books say it must be replaced at .18"

So, to answer your question, it it depends. Freeway miles or stop and go? Jump starts or gentle? I'm hoping for at least 200k on this one.

Richard

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I've got 47K on the 2000 (first owner hardly rode it) and its mostly highway. Sounds like I should get 100K out of it as long as the rear seal holds up. Already replaced the slave and drilled the weep hole.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 138,000 miles on my 1999LT with no problems. I must say I do not ride this bike like I would like to ( HARD ) as it can burn a hole in your wallet fast. No slipping of the clutch per say just nice easy shifts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts