BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The LT developed an oil leak last week - dealer says it's a main seal and probably also contaminated the clutch plates. They're gonna fix it and replace the clutch.

Any other (preventative) maintenance I should consider while they have the thing cracked open?

Bike is an '02 with ~48k miles.

Thanks all...

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
With my rear main seal leaking, my clutch was in good shape at 60k, but the dealer changed it while they were in there. Definitely have them replace the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
mtrevelino said:
With my rear main seal leaking, my clutch was in good shape at 60k, but the dealer changed it while they were in there. Definitely have them replace the slave cylinder.
And drill a hole in the slave cylinder transmission case to help let the leaking fluid escape !!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I changed my oil 3K ago I noticed an oil leak about a week later. I just thought I didn't clean the O ring groove well enough. I changed oil last week and still had the leak. Today I removed the lower bbody work and cleaned it off and found it leaking between the engine block and trans. The clutch dosn't seem to be slipping so I doubt if warranty will pay for it.
he really bad part is that my selling dealer (Revard BMW Indy) closed and the closest dealer is in Fort Wayne over 100 miles away. I don't mind riding the boring flat arrow straight ride between Indianapois and Ft. Wayne but how do I get home? Has anybody had to deal with this?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dlancello said:
When I changed my oil 3K ago I noticed an oil leak about a week later. I just thought I didn't clean the O ring groove well enough. I changed oil last week and still had the leak. Today I removed the lower bbody work and cleaned it off and found it leaking between the engine block and trans. The clutch dosn't seem to be slipping so I doubt if warranty will pay for it.
he really bad part is that my selling dealer (Revard BMW Indy) closed and the closest dealer is in Fort Wayne over 100 miles away. I don't mind riding the boring flat arrow straight ride between Indianapois and Ft. Wayne but how do I get home? Has anybody had to deal with this?
Sounds like the engine oil seal, or more likely the O-ring on the output shaft. If it was transmission oil, the clutch would have started slipping before now. Tranny oil gets right into the clutch when a tranny seal fails, much the same as brake fluid when the slave cylinder fails, but engine oil seals can leak a long time and not contaminate the clutch. Pretty expensive replacement if a dealer does it though, a LOT of labor to get to it. I have done it, but it is not a job for a beginner mechanic!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
dlancello said:
Hi, Dave - I haven't had to deal with it in Indiana, butt I have in Tejas. My dealer in Austin is a 110 mile ride, one way, for me and if I have to leave Toad overnight, then I rent a motorcycle specific trailer from U-Haul. They have one that the LT fits on just fine. About ~$15 a day. You gotta bring it back to 'em - they don't allow one-way drops. Pic below (if it works!).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts