BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got this started, almost wish I had not. Stuff is coming apart as expected but very concerned about getting it back together properly and in a timely manner. I have the BMW and Clymer manuals, as well as BlauBeemer's excellent write up of the process. Seems so simple, but since I have no understanding of the "magic" that happens inside engines or transmissions, I am SOOOOOO far in over my head! :eek:

So far, I have gotten all of the way to having removed the swing arm and the clutch slave removed. The banjo bolt came off one side of the slave but the other will not break free. Also, with the slave off, I see that the rod is too far in to grab.

QUESTION: If I mangle the bolt getting it off the slave, what are the specs for a replacement? (DOes anyone in D/FW have a spare I could get this weekend if needed?)

QUESTION: Should the rod behind the slave be where I could grab it with my fingers? Could it be so far in because my clutch is worn to nothing?

QUESTION: Can I remove the transmission if I cannot get the rod out first?

QUESTION: Does anyone want to come over and finish the job with/for me and get paid $$$? Wife has approved disbursement of funds.

No doubt there will be more questions if/when I am able to get further into this.

Thanks, all, in advance for any insights.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Finally got this started, almost wish I had not. Stuff is coming apart as expected but very concerned about getting it back together properly and in a timely manner. I have the BMW and Clymer manuals, as well as BlauBeemer's excellent write up of the process. Seems so simple, but since I have no understanding of the "magic" that happens inside engines or transmissions, I am SOOOOOO far in over my head! :eek:

So far, I have gotten all of the way to having removed the swing arm and the clutch slave removed. The banjo bolt came off one side of the slave but the other will not break free. Also, with the slave off, I see that the rod is too far in to grab.

QUESTION: If I mangle the bolt getting it off the slave, what are the specs for a replacement? (DOes anyone in D/FW have a spare I could get this weekend if needed?)

QUESTION: Should the rod behind the slave be where I could grab it with my fingers? Could it be so far in because my clutch is worn to nothing?

QUESTION: Can I remove the transmission if I cannot get the rod out first?

QUESTION: Does anyone want to come over and finish the job with/for me and get paid $$$? Wife has approved disbursement of funds.

No doubt there will be more questions if/when I am able to get further into this.

Thanks, all, in advance for any insights.
I wish we lived closer so i can help you. I have bolts that I can mail you for the slave cylinder if you need them, however I believe you can substitute 6mm bolts. I'll measure them when I get home from WCR if you need me to. The clutch pushrod is in deep and has a felt ring around it that keeps it snug in the transmission input shaft. no worries. carefully grip the end of the rod with some needle nose pliers and pull with a twist and it will come right out. If you want any question answered just PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help; I know others here will do the same.

You are into it this deep you know you can complete it. You will be ok if you keep the right attitude and not get in a big hurry.

PM me if you want my phone number.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
ErnieA said:
I wish we lived closer so i can help you. I have bolts that I can mail you for the slave cylinder if you need them, however I believe you can substitute 6mm bolts. I'll measure them when I get home from WCR if you need me to. The clutch pushrod is in deep and has a felt ring around it that keeps it snug in the transmission input shaft. no worries. carefully grip the end of the rod with some needle nose pliers and pull with a twist and it will come right out. If you want any question answered just PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help; I know others here will do the same.

You are into it this deep you know you can complete it. You will be ok if you keep the right attitude and not get in a big hurry.

PM me if you want my phone number.
I think he is talking about one of the Banjo fitting bolts, they cannot be substituted.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Check around a bit more and you may be able to find someone. Maybe even someone in your neighborhood, retired, whom you see with the garage door open all the time, and a garage full of tools.
Just someone to stand by and give you some confidence.
Because that's all you need. More confidence. There is nothing in there any more complicated than the average person can understand and do.
When I do a job like that, about that point, sleeping at night, the entire job goes thru' my mind in my sleep.
Each part, each aspect, one part or area at a time. Just the reverse of how it came apart. New parts where needed.
And after it's all done, it's a good feeling of accomplishment.
But possibly just someone standing by to give you encouragement is all you need.
dc

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
dshealey said:
I think he is talking about one of the Banjo fitting bolts, they cannot be substituted.
And I have some of those too! :D Amazing what I've accumulated in the past ten years. Thx David!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
You should be able to grab the rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Can't remember if regular pliers will fit.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Banjo Bolt is what I may need... May have to find one local as need to be rolling Wednesday.

Had some help today, Luc (LucFrancois) and Mark (MoralM) cam by this afternoon and we made good progress.

The transmission is out! Yay! But what a PITA...

I drained the fluids from engine, transmission, and FD at the start of the job, and I let the fluids drain for a long time to get out as much as possible. I learned today that even when it stops draining, the transmission still holds a fair bit of fluid. I learned this when the transmission was oriented topside down and Red Line came pouring out of the hole where the speed sensor goes! I am still alive because (a) Suzanne did not see it; and (b) I had a giant outdoor trash bag spread out under the bike to catch any such maladies. Trash bag = cheap life insurance! ;)

QUESTION: Is it normal for there to be a large amount of grimy fuzz in the transmission housing? I presume it is clutch fibers. Have not yet gotten to opening the clutch housing; I will be doing that as soon as I get a new trash bag down on the floor.

Thanks for the ongoing encouragement, and a special thanks to Mark and Luc for coming by to help!

Now I am back to work...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Yes mine had tons of fuzz in it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what mine looked like... Fuzz was very grimy.

Also, does that look like a leak around the splined shaft?

What is the best way to clean this all up?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
The good news is the front seal on your tranny is NOT leaking. Leave it alone. If the fuzz is oily it is more likely from the engine rear main and the housing shaft o-ring, leaking engine oil.

I used Castrol degreaser (purple liquid, sodium hydroxide based) and then doused it with water in a spray bottle to clean mine up. Just put down a large tupperware container to catch all the flow.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, John... again!

QUESTION: I presume the "front" seal is the one is pics 4 & 5, located around splined shaft on face of transmission that mounts to intermediate housing, and also known as input shaft seal, correct?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clutch is out. No liquid oil is apparent, but there is a lot of grimy "fluff" in the clutch housing.

Looks like I chose well in electing to NOT ride the existing clutch to Wisconsin, as the clutch material seems to be just a couple of hairs above the rivets.

Time to clean everything up and start to re-assemble. Think I will be ok with putting the clutch back together; I am more concerned about getting the gearbox in place solo.

QUESTION: The manuals mention residual balance paint marks (white, yellow paint) on clutch parts and suggests rotating 120 degrees. What if I cannot see the marks?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
best mark both pieces before disassembly so you can put it back together exactly the same

"white out" works well (typewriter correction fluid) - I keep a bottle around

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
gary45 said:
best mark both pieces before disassembly so you can put it back together exactly the same

"white out" works well (typewriter correction fluid) - I keep a bottle around
Another wonder marker is a silver Sharpie permanent marker. You can get them at Walmart in a two pack. Wonderful for marking on dark objects.

Robert

·
Registered
231 Posts
Let me know if you need a hand and I will see if I can come on by when you are ready to mount the transmission. Since I helped yank it out I figure I might as well help you line it back up. After seeing that bike in pieces yesterday it was hard for me to believe that it would be ready for reassembly that quick. I want to know how you got in there to remove the clutch. That was some tight work space. And not to mention all the small pieces laying all around :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moralem said:
Let me know if you need a hand and I will see if I can come on by when you are ready to mount the transmission. Since I helped yank it out I figure I might as well help you line it back up. After seeing that bike in pieces yesterday it was hard for me to believe that it would be ready for reassembly that quick. I want to know how you got in there to remove the clutch. That was some tight work space. And not to mention all the small pieces laying all around :histerica
I put all of the small parts away in labelled bags yesterday after you and Luc left.

Grateful for your help, yesterday, and would be thrilled if you had the time and inclination to come by to help get the transmission back into place. I hope to be mounting the transmission later this evening or tomorrow, Tuesday. Now if I only knew someone with small hands (not you or I, for sure) who could put the starter and alternator wires back on as easily as he took them off... :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jzeiler said:
I used Castrol degreaser (purple liquid, sodium hydroxide based) and then doused it with water in a spray bottle to clean mine up. Just put down a large tupperware container to catch all the flow.
O'Reilly Auto Parts did not have the Castrol, but they had another purple liquid degreaser, Super Clean heavy duty, that had sodium hydroxide in it. Worked wonders, and saved me who-knows-how-many cans of aerosol brake cleaner spray!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gary45 said:
Guess who screwed up... :(

Now what? Likely outcomes? Worst possible outcome?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I couldn't see any marks on my clutch when I pulled it. I put it back and it was fine............. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rattler50 said:
I couldn't see any marks on my clutch when I pulled it. I put it back and it was fine............. :D
That right there is some quality peace of mind! Thank you. :D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts