BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Clutch replaced, now noisy

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  murray 
#1 ·
had the clutch replaced at about 25K miles. Ever since then, the bike has been noisy. Now it is getting louder and can hear it even with the clutch pulled in. it is really loud at times. It either gets louder or changes some when I pull the front brake. I have read alot of posts here about noises, dry clutch, "some bikes make noise", alternator, tupperware, etc.. I have owned plenty of bikes and know when something is not normal. This is not normal. I have taken bike back and was told that it is gear lash. Of course it doesn't make the real loud noise when I am at shop. I am taking it back to them around end of month for them to find what it may be. The mechanic who worked on the bike also owns an 05 LT. I listened to his and no noise at all even with clutch out. This is a good shop just not a dealer.
My questions are: could it be they installed an aftermarket clutch, has anyone else had noise with aftermarket clutch? What else can I look at? Oh yea I have also removed exhaust and checked everything there.
What could be wrong after replacing clutch? What could have been done wrong that would make such a noise. I have video clips of the bike making the noise but can't post them because they are quicktime format.
Thanks all

#2 ·
Ok it has now been narrowed down to the alternator area. Either the "cush drive" or some bushings which cut down gear lash. Either way, VERY expensive!
Whatever IDIOT designed it so the alternator was between the engine and tranny should have his nuts put in a vise every day for 6 months.

#4 ·
I feel your pain but the only thing that is between the engine and the tranny is the starter (now that is dumb). The whole thing does have to drop down to get to the "cush drive" though but the parts are relatively cheap. Let us know what it turns out to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.