BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There used to be in archives an article by cccpastorjack about the removal of the clutch. I found it 2 weeks ago but now when I have a printer handy on a buddies computer I can't find it again. I did a google search then and can't seem to duplicate it. I did find something but the link did not work correctly. I need info on the clutch and swingarm removal along with tranny. Any help much appreciated. Found the tools part etc, just not the teardown manual stuff one needs and have not!
My clutch went along with the rear bearing failure but took 8 months more riding to completly start to really slip. Thank Guys

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is an EXCELLENT writeup done by Kenny Crawford (BlauBeeMr) on changing the main seal, which of course includes clutch removal - see http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57205&highlight=lift. I would also use Kevin Cookes writeup on the weep hole drilling procedure, and watch the video on site by John Zeller (it is a sticky). That will help in getting the rear end items off.

Of course, the Clymer manual is invaluable. The shop manual as well (which you can get on line for free).

See also Dave's great pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/LTClutchRepair#.

The Pastor Jack photos you want are at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19720

I will soon need to do a clutch replacement so I have been collecting this information.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sully, taking a short break, I am trying to remove thwe swingarm and have those torqued nutss of pretty easily, I dont thionk when they wokked on my bike last they torqued it right, will need to read further, I down to the small shaft inside, need info on how that comes out, will study a few pics to learn, where online can one find the shop manual free? Thanks and slowly getting to the clutch! I'll have some poics an stuff to help you out when I ge done. too.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
If you're asking about the driveshaft removal from the trans output shaft, it comes off hard. There's a small clip on the output shaft, and under (or inside) the driveshaft. It takes some coaxing to get it off. And when it goes back on, be sure it seats with a snap. If it doesn't, it'll come loose, and make lots of noise. This I know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would that be like just a round clip on say a transaxel for a front wheel drive car type clip? Appreciate the heads up a pry bar should do it with a block of wood if thats all it is!
Love your line in the end! 25 years fulltime/10 yrs PT gunsmithing!

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
nearmisses said:
Would that be like just a round clip on say a transaxel for a front wheel drive car type clip? Appreciate the heads up a pry bar should do it with a block of wood if thats all it is!
Use a large screwdriver in the right side pivot hole.Use paper or cloth to protect the threads.

dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts