BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a few photos (you're welcome Lee) of my friction and pressure plates, and wanted to hear what some of you more knowledgeable guys thought about the wear patterns, and serviceability of the pressure plates.

I cleaned them all up, except for the friction plate which gets replaced no matter what, and gave them a light coating of oil to stop surface rust. There are no gouges, divots, ridges or even rough spots on either plate, just the discoloring. I've not taken any sanding material to them to see if they'd come clean.

My first impression, based on looks and the good feel of the clutch prior to removal, is that they're OK to reuse, but I really don't know enough about this machine to make that call on my own.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would replace them... I see significant "heat scoring" on both. If you do reuse them, make SURE that you remove ANY and ALL oil from the surfaces that will contact the clutch plate. Just my 2cents. :D

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Those places you see on the pressure plate that look like they are "smears" of metal are just that. Smears. Metal has moved and when reheated it will stand up. I know this because I'm a transmission rebuilder and the engineers will tell you that once those "smears" show up on a clutch plate or a steel in a transmission, they need to be replaced. My pressure plate had a few black spots that came off with some light brushing so I reused it and that was over 40K miles ago. It it looked like the one you have, I would have thrown it away and got a new one............... :)

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
fpmlt said:
I took a few photos (you're welcome Lee) of my friction and pressure plates, and wanted to hear what some of you more knowledgeable guys thought about the wear patterns, and serviceability of the pressure plates.

I cleaned them all up, except for the friction plate which gets replaced no matter what, and gave them a light coating of oil to stop surface rust. There are no gouges, divots, ridges or even rough spots on either plate, just the discoloring. I've not taken any sanding material to them to see if they'd come clean.

My first impression, based on looks and the good feel of the clutch prior to removal, is that they're OK to reuse, but I really don't know enough about this machine to make that call on my own.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Frank
The clutch appears to have been overheated at least once and probably several times. I would replace both parts. I don't know if the LT pressure plate is thick enough to resurface, but that might be an option also. However, this can make it even more prone to overheating in the future as it now has less thermal mass.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, replace all of it. You have some pretty severe "heat checking", and once that happens, it should be replaced. If you try to sand off all the surface discoloration and re-use them, it will just re-appear in short order.

Something really overheated that clutch! A lot of slipping happened at some time.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Nothing to add as you got the best of the best on the critique on the parts and I have to say that is the third one I have seen that looked like that to some degree or another.

And I have to say the pictures are great :D Of all the years and posts I never ever asked for pics as I usually post them so I can get confirmation on issues or share what I have done on a mod. I guess the first time was a charm with you :histerica I now know I am a jinx and will NEVER ask for pictures from anyone else :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts