BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 LT with 27000 miles and my clutch went out, brought it to the dealer today and they're telling me worst case it will cost me 1549.00, the guy in the parts dept. said, don't feel bad mine went out at 18000 miles.
Are clutch problems a common occurance on K bikes?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
RichSr said:
I have an 04 LT with 27000 miles and my clutch went out, brought it to the dealer today and they're telling me worst case it will cost me 1549.00, the guy in the parts dept. said, don't feel bad mine went out at 18000 miles.
Are clutch problems a common occurance on K bikes?
The most common clutch issue is the failure of the clutch slave cylinder, which contaminates the clutch with brake fluid. We promote drilling of a drain hole in the transmission boss where the slave cylinder mounts to stop this. If the slave fails and does not take out the clutch the repair is about 2 hours and around $150 in parts. You now know what it is when the clutch is taken out.

Some of the smarter dealers will drill the drain hole for you, many posts here about it with pictures. Some people call it a "weep" hole, but when the cylinder fails it is not a "weep" of brake fluid, but a small flood which has to drain out as fast as it enters, or the clutch fails. The slave cylinder is on the rear of the transmission, in front of the swing arm, and if it fails the brake fluid is forced along the actuator rod through the transmission input shaft, and right into the clutch. The drain hole allows it to escape first.

The second most common cause is one of the transmission input shaft seals. If the front one fails, not much can be done, and oil gets into the clutch. If the rear one fails, the aforementioned drain hole will help if it has been drilled.

The third cause is the rear engine oil seal/O-ring, but it can leak a LOT of oil before the clutch will become contaminated.

Of course there have been a very few clutches that have actually been worn out by improper usage. Typically though, one will likely never wear out an LT clutch.

If you have an extended service contract, be sure the dealer discovers the exact cause of clutch failure. If an oil or brake fluid leak, and the seals/etc. are covered by the contract, then most if not all the work and parts may be covered. If the clutch is contaminated by a covered leak, the cost of the clutch parts should also be covered, but some companies may argue that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts