BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks likely that I will need a clutch replacement. Is there a better option over the OEM parts?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Carlos, as a precaution you might want to drill a drain whole in the bottom of the bell housing to see what oil drains and how much drains. If it is motor oil then you know you have a rear main seal to repair as well. I took mine to Tucson, Iron Horse a couple of years ago and it was only $1760.00 to do clutch, rear main seal and labor. I had replaced the slave before that so add another $100 for the slave. Maybe a little more now.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I only remember one person who tried to modified the stock clutch, Cyclecamper.

I think he spent a couple of years constantly replacing LT clutches, went back to the stock clutch and then sold his LT.

He seemed to have one of those memories that locked on to every detail and fact.

Best from Tucson
Bob

PS: IronHorse will start on my bike Friday morning. I'm assuming new slave, new trany seal, and BIG gulp new clutch. I'll have them drain the slave seal drain hole while in there.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Carlos, it seems there is only one source for LT clutch parts. Your local dealer/mail order but OEM is all there is.

There is a company out there who are 'gurus" of turbocharging who claim to have racing clutch disks available but they never seem to have them available when an inquiry is made.

Sorry to hear about your sorry luck! Would have been a lot better if the thing could have waited until July/August!

Loren

calvarez said:
It looks likely that I will need a clutch replacement. Is there a better option over the OEM parts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I was told that all of the parts total about $800. Most of $1800+ is labor. I am ver y mechanically inclined and thought of doing the work myself. There is a plethera of information on here of guys doing it themselves. Just a thought.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would have been a lot better if the thing could have waited until July/August!
Yeah, no kidding.

Well, it's with Dave at Quality Cycle, and he's going to do some diagnosis before tearing in. Some of you may remember I posted a thread about the clutch not disengaging properly. Shortly after fixing that, now it feels like it never fully engages. So I'm hoping it's a hydraulic issue still, not the clutch itself, but figured I should get ready.

Scottsdale BMW discounts everything, so I'll probably look to them for parts. They also have a clutch master cylinder rebuild kit, while Victory said there is no kit, only the full cylinder assembly for something like $400.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts