BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 K1200LT, 50,000 miles. Stopped at a stoplight and the bike starts to creep. At next stop, will not disengage and had to pull into a parking lot. Limped it home. What to look for first? Leaking slave or master?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Yes, as it could be either or both. Try a flush and see what comes out as that will tell you a lot. If there was a leak and the level dropped in the reservoir there could also be air in the system.

Reactions: Jmess117

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
If you can pump it up and get the clutch to work even though it is leaking down, then yes, either MC or slave but keep in mind, if it is the slave that is leaking, that leaking fluid is being pushed down the clutch pushrod into and contaminating the clutch unless you have the slave weep hole drilled. If you have the hole, then you would see fluid leaking there. If not, then disassembly and inspection is the only way to see what is going on.

Don't pull the clutch in hard with the slave out of the housing. It can pop the circlip out and push the piston out with some force. If it is leaking there, it will be obvious.

Reactions: Jmess117

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oddly enough, my LT is 1999 and 50,000 miles and last year on its first post-winter run, I had the same thing.

The reservoir was empty and on removing the handlebar cover it was obvious the fluid had seeped out of the master cylinder.

Fitting a new repair kit was easy. Bleeding the system a right pain in the derriere.

Good luck, I hope its the same on yours, the slave cylinder is a lot more work to change.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
The best way to bleed the clutch is to push fluid from the bottom to the the top that way all the air goes up easily.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, folks! I am about to begin investigating and can see that the reservoir is empty. What is the best source for parts?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Thanks for the advice, folks! I am about to begin investigating and can see that the reservoir is empty. What is the best source for parts?
It depends on what you need. BeemerBoneyard is good if they have what you need. However, BMW sued Magura for selling slave cylinders aftermarket so last I knew the only source for slave cylinders was BMW. I suspect the same is true for master cylinder rebuild kits also. Probably won’t find much on the aftermarket for those. Same for hoses. I wanted to get SS hose for my clutch, but I found nobody who made them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If the reservoir is empty refill then pump it a few times and see if there is a leak from the banjo bolt or the just above the bend above it on the hydro pipe. the pipe rots through after some time exposed to the elements. I've had this happen. replace it with a stainless braded pipe from the reservoir to the hydro unit which has a 6mm banjo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post, but I just had the same problem on my 09 lt. I just ordered a new replacement slave from beemer boneyard for about $125 delivered, assuming that it is the problem, as after having my clutch creep on me a couple of times I found my reservoir empty. Can anyone tell me if I change my slave now and drill weep hole if I can save my clutch as it hasn’t slipped yet and only been driven a few miles since I first noticed the clutch not staying released with lever held in? I hope this is an appropriate place for this question.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
You will answer that question yourself when you remove the slave cylinder. Just pull the rod out and see how far the fluid has gone. If the rod is wet all the way to the clutch there is a risk but you may be able to save it with some Brake Kleen sprayed on the clutch bits through a drilled hole in the intermediate (bell) housing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts