BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for answers. I'm putting my clutch back together. CLYMER and other PDF's refer to lubing the spline on the motor output and clutch housing connection. All prior to O-ring install and big nut torque.

It looks like this spline and housing that runs against the Rear Main Seal and has the O-Ring under the disposable nut are under pressure with engine oil! This connection sits in an oil bath it's entire life when running. The O-ring dries out and passes pressurized oil into the clutch. And thus oily clutch.

Why would I want to put Optimoly MP3 or Microlube GL261 or anything other than engine oil on this spline during re-assemble. Whatever you use will flush into the engine, hopefully get caught by the filter and ???

I can see the oil journals and path for the oil to circulate! There was a nice pool of oil in there when I pulled it apart.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
That area is not lubed as it is in an oil bath (your observations were correct). The splines you want lightly lube are the transmission input shaft where it inserts into the clutch disc. Put none IN the clutch disc.

Reactions: mcracer and Patric

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
To expand on what John said using the word " lightly"

What this means is you don't want the clutch disk to gather a big lip of spline lube behind it as you slid the transmission on. If it does, it can glob and fall into the clutch contaminating it again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply John.

Clymer page 168 step-2 for clutch installation should be amended. In my opinion.

If anything, maybe some assembly lube. Maybe Not; because they want the threaded main engine output shaft clean and dry for proper torquing of the Clutch Nut - Compression Ring - Clutch Housing.

The engine output spline is not a onetime lube/spline connection like the clutch disk to transmission input. Or like the trans out to drive-shaft. I have the Staburags NBU 30 for these splines. A little goes along way. Found this YouTube on late model BMW spline lube during clutch service.

Gordon, that depth gauge you sent worked great for the trans out seal, I'll send it home soon. Thanks. Mark L

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Thanks for the reply John.

Clymer page 168 step-2 for clutch installation should be amended. In my opinion.

If anything, maybe some assembly lube. Maybe Not; because they want the threaded main engine output shaft clean and dry for proper torquing of the Clutch Nut - Compression Ring - Clutch Housing.

The engine output spline is not a onetime lube/spline connection like the clutch disk to transmission input. Or like the trans out to drive-shaft. I have the Staburags NBU 30 for these splines. A little goes along way. Found this YouTube on late model BMW spline lube during clutch service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FfDU5r640

Gordon, that depth gauge you sent worked great for the trans out seal, I'll send it home soon. Thanks. Mark L
Nice little video. He works it in but doesn't gob it on. a thin coating is all that is necessary.

While you reassemble your clutch and bike, I received my spare FD from fleabay along with a new set of spark plug wires for Euro Motor Electric so if it warms up a little more, I may pop the cover and have a look inside of what I bought. It is missing one of the outer bearing cones on the pivot bearing but in looking at the one that is there, I will likely have to replace both as it is a little notchy.

Keep posting the pics as you go Mark.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts