BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished flushing the breaks. Now on to the clutch. Went to take the grub screw out and stripped it with an allen wrench. Couldn't believe it. But anyway that's what I did. :cussing: I've got a speedbleeder for it, but looks like the grub screw has to come out to use it. Am going to have to order that whole plastic piece that screws onto the hose? And that sucker is tighter than the panties on a fat girl, so I quit messing with it. The good thing is that I haven't lost any fluid, so I guess I could ride it, but I really want to get all of this done while its on the lift. Can anyone bail me out?

·
Registered
446 Posts
A couple of quick things come to mind.
1. Can you use an "easy out"? to get the plug out?
2. If you need to ride it and cannot get to it, you can suck out the old fluid in the resovior and put new fluid in, remembering not to let air get into the line

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You really do not have much of a problem at all. I usually remove the "ventilation screw" and the grub screw as a unit and replace it with a regular bleeder valve. Somehow I never can get a speedbleeder to work to 100% satisfaction in that location. Here's your fix:

Just go to this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0555&mospid=47964&btnr=21_0138&hg=21&fg=10 and check out the items you are working with.

Then separate item #12 from item #8 and re-install a normal or speedbleeder valve in its place. Then bleed as normal. I think the "ventilation screw" (item #12) is installed at the factory so they can bleed the air from the system by filling it from the bottom. No longer needed by the owner. ;)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You're not too bad off..
Remember to use lots of heat on that grub adaptor..

I put a speed bleeder on mine with no issues...

John

·
Registered
292 Posts
the grub screw assembly will come off. It has locite applied to it so just use some heat and remove it. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the base and an open end wrench to remove following some heat application from my wife's hair dryer. Then screwed the speedbleeder right into where the grub screw assembly was. Works great.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What Jack says is the way to go! Apply a heat gun to the fitting before removing it. This will loosen up the Locktite that is is assembled with.

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Did you guys see the price of the bleed hose that goes from the slave cylinder to the bleed (grub) screw on Pastor Jacks parts diagram?

What is this thing made of? Virtually un-obtanium?

08Clutch vent pipe

21522333308 $124.28

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whew! Thanks for all the great tips guys. And thanks for that drawing PastorJack. I will be sleeping a little easier tonight thanks to you. ;)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Snuck one of the wire's hair dryers out to the garage today & got the grub screw off and speed bleeder in. All is well. :) Got the radiator flush done too. Tomorrow I'll get all the tuperware back on and be ready to ride again. I'm ready...it's been 3 weeks. Thanks again fellas for all the help....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts