BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched for an answer but can't find one. Just taken my LT back to the dealer after having owned it for two weeks. I thought I would check the various fluid levels only to find the absence of any clutch fluid. Drove it to the dealer and just about got there. Has anyone any knowledge of this problem?

Thanks

Dave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dave but it means the slave cylinder is leaking. That leak in turn will contaminate the clutch disc as the fluid has nowhere to go but there. Perhaps you have caught it early enough to save the clutch. Slave is easy to replace once the swing arm is out of the way. If the slave looks all cruddy inside (leaking for awhile) I would go further as the clutch is next.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John
That's wat I suspeted given various posts. Fluid loss from the clutch resevoir was total and must have been happening for a while, I had'nt noticed any clutch slip even though I have only owned the bike for two weeks. As the bike has only covered 4800 miles it seems odd. Looks like the dealers mechanic is going to be busy!

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had confirmation from the dealer that the slave cylinder has been leaking. The dealer is going to replace it and the clutch plate. What amazes me about this fault is that everyone seems to know about it, but BMW obviously haven't rectified the problem. It doesn't endear me with any faith in this product especially as the bike has only done 4800 miles from new. When a manufacturer with a prestigious brand like BMW ignores or is unable to rectify recurrent faults on its flagship motorcycle it puts into question the rest of there products. Will this problem rear it's ugly head in another 4800 miles, I wonder!

Dave

·
Registered
538 Posts
A lot of us wonder about that and a few other (rear drive) things. That's one of the prices for driving the best, even though we shouldn't have to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts