BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here. I just bought a 2002 with 43K mikes. Everything seems fine except the trunk latch. I will have to do the fix for that. The corner is already broken off. I am a long time BMW rider and do all of my own work. I am starting a 12k service and will be doing a brake and clutch fluid change. I found a great brake fluid change thread in the Halls of Wisdom. I can't seem to find anything on flushing the clutch fluid. They are both dark so I doubt that they have been done. I am looking for info on the coolant change also. Any help would be much appreciated. All of the other fluids were just changed by the PO which happens to be a good friend of mine. Excellent Forum. I am also a F650 rider and I though that was a good site. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Greetings and welcome aboard. The clutch is very easy to do. When I ordered Speed Bleeders) for brakes, I ordered a 5th unit and permanently installed it in the clutch bleed line. The steps are in the Clymer manual, but you can get by with a little less work than they detail.

The clutch bleed line is located under the right side "tip over" wing. Remove the wing cover and you will see a tube with a piece of rubber surrounding the end and the whole thing ty-wrapped to the frame. Cut the zip tie and pull out the slack in the tube to get to it. As with doing the brakes, you need to turn the handle bars so the reservoir is as level as you can get it. I did not loosen and rotate the master cyl. as the book says. Look carefully at the mark inside the reservoir and do not over fill as you need to reinstall the cover which will displace some fluid.

The cooling system is a whole nother story. I thought I found a procedure in the archives some time back. Also look at the posts that appear below on the subject of cooling system flush.

Good luck. :dance:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
For the clutch fluid change, the right bottom plastic needs to come off to expose the line that has a grub screw on it. Heat the grub screw with hair dryer or similar device and replace with speedbleeder. Drain and fill same as brake lines. This procedure is written up or I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to do it.
Just going off memory, so there are probably details I may have missed.

HTH,
Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I just did this yesterday and didn't use speed bleeders or any other special tools. I put a clear hose on the existing grub screw nipple, put that into a container. I used a bungee to keep the hose pointed up slightly. Open the grub screw enough to allow fluid to flow but not wide open, keep a little resistance. Then I taped a funnel to the windscreen so the tip was over the hole in the master cylinder, letting me top it off quickly and preventing fluid from squirting out. Pump until it runs clear, close the screw for a little more resistance, pump some more to make sure all air is out, done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
calvarez said:
I just did this yesterday and didn't use speed bleeders or any other special tools. I put a clear hose on the existing grub screw nipple, put that into a container. I used a bungee to keep the hose pointed up slightly. Open the grub screw enough to allow fluid to flow but not wide open, keep a little resistance. Then I taped a funnel to the windscreen so the tip was over the hole in the master cylinder, letting me top it off quickly and preventing fluid from squirting out. Pump until it runs clear, close the screw for a little more resistance, pump some more to make sure all air is out, done.
I thought that the grup screw did NOT have a nipple of any kind.

That is what makes it a "grub" screw.

yours must have had a speed bleeder put on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
xzyfsk said:
Excellent. Thanks Guys. Do we use DOT 4 brake fluid on the LT for the clutch fluid?
DOT 4 is correct!

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
Since I watched mine being done last week, I'm dangerous, but I remembered a tip to keep the reservoir from squirting up and on your windshield.

Place a clean quarter inside the reservoir over the small hole. Keeps the fluid from squirting up. Also use some plastic wrap and be sure everything around the reserve is covered.

We used a speed bleeder too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Dano.

What happened to the quarter? Did it turn to copper and disappear in a puff of smoke ? Also, whose quarter was it anyway :confused: :histerica

Good hint though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
I think Dave from NC donated it. Don't remember him removing it though! Guess it'll disolve in time. Clutch seems to work pretty well too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
DanDiver said:
I think Dave from NC donated it. Don't remember him removing it though! Guess it'll disolve in time. Clutch seems to work pretty well too..
Dan,

I do remember Dave removing the quarter from the brake side, but do not remember him removing it from the clutch side.

Just remember if you ever sell the bike you can ask for an extra 25cents :histerica
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
I thought I heard something rattling around this morning.... or maybe it was my teeth chattering. 36 degrees at 7AM.......... but 63 on my way home... Got to love Florida in the winter..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am at the grub screw for the clutch and it does not have a bleeder valve. Does anyone remember what size I will need for this?
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,110 Posts
10mm short bleeder. Or you can use a small screwdriver to depress the check ball and let it gravity flush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent. Thanks for everything guys. I have completed the full 12k service and the bike is ready to go. This beast is not bad to work on at all with this group as support. The power brakes were a bit of a hassle to flush but considering what a dealer whats to do it I will take the hassle. Now I need to fix the fuel feeler flap. It does not lock down.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
xzyfsk said:
Excellent. Thanks for everything guys. I have completed the full 12k service and the bike is ready to go. This beast is not bad to work on at all with this group as support. The power brakes were a bit of a hassle to flush but considering what a dealer whats to do it I will take the hassle. Now I need to fix the fuel feeler flap. It does not lock down.
I learned from this forum to take it off and clean it out. Easy fix.
Check out the comment from #10 by Becketma.

Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Re: Clutch fluid change/Trunk Latch

Last weekend replaced my trunk latch on my 03 LT. I bought it from LT Trunk Latch.com
I thought the Latch was very well made and the change-out was smooth, thanks to the CD with pics and instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. The trunk latch is next on mine. I fixed the gas flap lock by taking it apart and smoothing out the sides with a small file. Works like a champ now.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top