BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2008, I bought a 2000 K1200LT. Thanks to Curve Cowboy Reunion, I learned how to do the 12/24K yearly maintenance. I overlooked, a senior moment, bleeding my clutch in the past. Again, all the maintenance was done and everything went smoothly. After locating the clutch bleeding tube on the right side, I found the grub screw, in its fitting or what BMW refers to as the "Ventilation Screw", had been damaged. I can't get the grub screw out!!! Can I remove the ventilation screw, if so, how? Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just encountered this yesterday trying to bleed the clutch on my 2005LT. I found there was a 1/8 npt pipe plug in the end (remove with a 3/16 hex key) which I removed initially but still couldn't get it to bleed out at all. I then found that there is a tiny ball check under that plug which would only allow me to bleed by forcing the ball off the seat with a small screwdriver or punch etc. At that point it takes someone else to operate the clutch handle.

A screwy arrangement. The check valve etc is Loctited to the hose end. It isn't necessary to disassemble that part. wonder what BMW was thinking?

Is this what you have? :wave

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I removed the whole thing (fitting with ball check) And installed the speed bleeder in its place. Did the same on the right front caliper.

I understand that BMW used that fitting at the factory to fill the circuit with DOT 4.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
judgejoe said:
After locating the clutch bleeding tube on the right side, I found the grub screw, in its fitting or what BMW refers to as the "Ventilation Screw", had been damaged. I can't get the grub screw out!!! Can I remove the ventilation screw, if so, how? Any recommendations? Thanks.
Has the hex shape of the grub screw been rounded out? You might be able to get it out with an easy out. I'm not sure if they're made to that size, but worth a look. You might be able to remove the whole check valve assembly, but you'd need a bleeder to install in it's place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I am about to try the easy out next. It is my intent to put a speed bleeder in which I have. But, don't you put the speed bleeder in where the grub screw is removed? Or do you remove something more to get the speed bleeder in? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
judgejoe said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I am about to try the easy out next. It is my intent to put a speed bleeder in which I have. But, don't you put the speed bleeder in where the grub screw is removed? Or do you remove something more to get the speed bleeder in? Thanks.
Don't bother with the easy out since you have a speed bleeder to install. Take 2 open end wrenches and remove the whole check valve assy. The piece with the grub screw in it. Clean out the lock tite and install the speed bleeder and you are done. (except for bleeding of course).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much Boatzo. Went out to the garage and completed the task. I didn't want to put to much pressure on the fitting and damage anything more. Didn't realize that it was on with locktite. Alittle extra pressure and it came off. Thanks again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Please clarify......for us less mechanically inclined nugs such as me!

In reference to the picture below, here are my questions:
1. Can the bleeder replace the grub screw (green line) and remain in that spot or do you have to take it out and put the grub back in?
2. Is the $40 vent screw something that can come off and be replaced by the regular (vs. speedbleeder) - (orange line)? If so…..”lefty loosey?” I don’t want to strip or break it at $40 a pop or have to replace the $103 line!
3. Can the regular bleeder remain in place since it doesn’t have a backflow prevention valve?

Thanks for any assistance!
Kenny

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,109 Posts
You can go either way. But I would not leave the bleeder in the adapter. The fill adapter (vent screw) is installed with loctite on the hose so a judicious use of heat is in order if you are going to remove it. If you do remove it then you just tighten the bleeder when you are done and leave it in the line.

·
Registered
530 Posts
jzeiler said:
You can go either way. But I would not leave the bleeder in the adapter. The fill adapter (vent screw) is installed with loctite on the hose so a judicious use of heat is in order if you are going to remove it. If you do remove it then you just tighten the bleeder when you are done and leave it in the line.
Thank you John! :wave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts