BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started having trouble shifting into neutral when parked. Over the course of a few miles, this progressed to having trouble shifting at all when in motion. I was able to limp home.

Sitting at a red traffic light, I felt the bike wanting to roll forward ever so slightly (no, not facing down hill) and the clutch would engage (disengage?) into gear at anything less than full pressure on the lever.

I suspect my clutch fluid is low, I noticed a bit on the lift table under where the bleeder is (right side, new foot peg mount). Not much, and it was only apparent after the bike had been sitting for a few weeks since the valve adjustment (thank you, again, DanMartin!) and some other little clean-up tasks I had.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If the fluid in the reservoir gets too low and air enters the master cylinder it will act exactly as you describe. Top it off and the air may work itself out with slow cycling of the lever. If not, bleed the system and either way fix the leak. Simple to bleed/flush it though since you'll have the right panel off to find/fix the leak. Make sure to cover the relief port with a quarter, though before you attempt any lever movement or you'll squirt DOT4 on the windshield and/or paint and cause instant damage.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deanwoolsey said:
If the fluid in the reservoir gets too low and air enters the master cylinder it will act exactly as you describe. Top it off and the air may work itself out with slow cycling of the lever. If not, bleed the system and either way fix the leak. Simple to bleed/flush it though since you'll have the right panel off to find/fix the leak. Make sure to cover the relief port with a quarter, though before you attempt any lever movement or you'll squirt DOT4 on the windshield and/or paint and cause instant damage.

Moved this to the other thread... somehow, [email protected]$$ me opened a duplicate thread...

MODERATOR: Please delete this thread as a duplicate...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts