BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I started having trouble shifting into neutral when parked. Over the course of a few miles, this progressed to having trouble shifting at all when in motion. I was able to limp home.

Sitting at a red traffic light, I felt the bike wanting to roll forward ever so slightly (no, not facing down hill) and the clutch would engage (disengage?) into gear at anything less than full pressure on the lever.

I suspect my clutch fluid is low, I noticed a bit on the lift table under where the bleeder is. Not much, and it was only apparent after the bike had been sitting for a few weeks since the valve adjustment (thank you, again, DanMartin!) and some other little clean-up tasks I had.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it is a loose bleeder. Just replaced the slave June/July '12 when I did clutch.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
deputy5211 said:
I hope it is a loose bleeder. Just replaced the slave June/July '12 when I did clutch.
Perzackly what ole Toad experienced back-in-the-day while storming around Nawthun Arkansaw - slave cylinder replaced by Lone Star once I got ole Toad back in the 'hood. Wuz exciting at stop lights/stop signs and gas ups.

Didn't you do the drill tranny dance already?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dick said:
Perzackly what ole Toad experienced back-in-the-day while storming around Nawthun Arkansaw - slave cylinder replaced by Lone Star once I got ole Toad back in the 'hood. Wuz exciting at stop lights/stop signs and gas ups.

Did not do the drill dance. Gar-on-teed I will if I have to take her apart again...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opened the reservoir and added almost 40cc of fluid. Closed it up and after a few pumps, she is shifting again (and back on the centre stand, thank goodness).

No time to pull the cover and check the bleeder or look at slave today, but top of the list for next day that I have some time to tinker a little bit.

Wondering if it is a good time to drill a hole in the intermediate housing, or if it is strictly the slave that I need to drill. If slave drill indicated, I will wait until next time slave is off the bike so I do not do any damage.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Keep a very close eye on the fluid level. If it drops find the leak before it costs you the clutch plates etc...

If you are careful and or lucky, you can supposedly drill the slave cylinder weephole with out removing the slave cylinder. I never that lucky or careful so i took the time to pull the slave. I have never looked closely at the LT but can the slave mounting bolts be loosened or removed with out taking off the swingarm/ final drive assembly? Sure make this job much easier if you could just slide the slave back, drill the hole, vacuum out the chips and slide the slave back inplace.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigbear said:
[...] can the slave mounting bolts be loosened or removed with out taking off the swingarm/ final drive assembly? Sure make this job much easier if you could just slide the slave back, drill the hole, vacuum out the chips and slide the slave back inplace.
if only....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dick said:

How ironic if it turns out that I replaced a perfectly functioning slave and replaced it with a new one from Beemer Boneyard, and the new one failed. That would make me less than happy...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Following entry copy/pasted from duplicate thread...
deanwoolsey said:
If the fluid in the reservoir gets too low and air enters the master cylinder it will act exactly as you describe. Top it off and the air may work itself out with slow cycling of the lever. If not, bleed the system and either way fix the leak. Simple to bleed/flush it though since you'll have the right panel off to find/fix the leak. Make sure to cover the relief port with a quarter, though before you attempt any lever movement or you'll squirt DOT4 on the windshield and/or paint and cause instant damage.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I did my clutch and slave, I had a leak which turned out to be the banjo bolts on the slave were not tightened enough. Been working on vehicles all my life and that's the first time I didn't get a hydralic line tightened correctly... Live and learn..uh...maybe just live, in my case.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info, Rick.

Am going to try to get a look at it this morning before I leave the house.

I do not recall if one can reach over to those banjos with right foot plate off. Thoughts?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
You might be able to see them but it is easier to take off the rear wheel and go in with a wrench over the swing arm. You might be able to get in there between the tire and the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Hi Tony,

Also check the condition of the hose fitting from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. Water corrodes the fitting where the hose crimps and a leak can develop there. This is a common failure point that happens especially after flexing the hose during clutch service. If the fitting has failed the wetness will be above the screw and banjo bolt and easily seen.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pulled the side plate this morning. The host and speed bleeder were both clean and dry.

I flushed the clutch all the way through since I had to bleed it anyway. Fluid looked clean.

Topped it off and went riding, smooth as silk.

I will pull the rear wheel and address the slave banjos and upper hose another day.

I do not suspect fluid in the intermediate as the mating surfaces and outer surfaces appear clean, despite fluid leak from somewhere..... Will probably drill the intermediate tomorrow just as a safety check point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts