BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch went out on a recent trip. Long story short.No previous problems with clutch and no warning. Cruising along @ 85 mph. Felt a vibration for about 5 seconds then tach spun up to 7000rpm. Stopped and the bike didnt even try to creep when in gear. Slipping wasnt the problem . The bike acted as if in neutral even when in gear.
Now I know why. Took it apart today. There is no fluid in housing. No sign of a leak anywhere. What was in the housing was a bunch of fuzz that used to be the clutch plate. There was not one bit of lining left on the clutch plate. Anybody else have this problem? The bike only has 58000 on it. Seems I didnt have the leaking slave everybodyelse has.
Buzz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
First time I've heard of that happening on an LT, and I've been riding them since 99 (had 3 myself). Not sure what to tell you, sorry about the troubles.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Seen something like that once. On an old Toyota pickup truck, after I buried it in a ditch full of snow and tried like the dickens to get it out again. Mechanic called it 'Angel Haired'. Was a new Kevlar clutch - less than 1K miles on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I think know what caused the clutch to grind itself to nothing. Took the transmission apart. Bearing on the main shaft fell apart. The failing bearing caused the mainshaft to run out of round. The clutch plate is attached to the mainshaft by a spline so the clutch was running out of round and ground itself to dust against the pressure plate. This is what caused the vibration I felt before everything quit. This is the best theory I can come up with. All other bearings in the trans are good.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
When my clutch was most recently contaminated by the slave cylinder leaking, when Touring Sport went to replace it they found the same thing in my tranny, main shaft flopping in the breeze, replaced the tranny.........along with the rear end which also turned out to be ready to frag. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disintegrated clutch not unique

In response to ToothMD's matter,
I had the identical situation and results coming back from the RA rally at the Biltmore Estates, NC. My transmission started showing some signs of distress as I was noticing above average rpm's for the various speeds, or mph. I consulted my BMW dealer, and was told it should not be a problem to drive home. About 20 miles north of Knoxville,TN, near exit 144, on I-75, the transmission just went out completely at 75mph, and I coasted over to the shoulder. Both BMW roadside assistance and BMW MOA roadside assistance exhausted their options for towing service. After 4 hours of calls and waiting, a Tennessee State Trooper found a towing service in Caryville. TN. After towing the 2006 k1200LT home. My dealer found a totally disintegrated clutchplate. This is a matter BMW should address. The service manager said he had only seen this issue once before.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Now I'm scared to ride, am I gonna have a rear end go or a clutch leave me on the side of the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont be afraid just dont ever assume you are going to make it to your destination. ALWAYS carry a BMW anonymous book with you. This is the only thing that saved me out in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota. Nice to have people that are willing to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts