BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped the bike down, & replaced the clutch plate, O ring, thrust washer & nut, put in new housing bolts, also replaced rear engine main seal(sits behind clutch flywheel), gearbox input & output seals, plus output to drive shaft seal, the 3 gearbox seals were leaking, could not be certain about rear engine mainseal, so changed it anyway.
Slave cylinder ok, so left alone, drilled weep hole, while bike in bits did lots of cleaning, greasing & tidying up, changed out coolant & flushed system.
Before anyone asks, i did not take photos, if you saw the state of my garage you would understand, its not quite up to the spacious well lit standards you seem to have in America, i carried out work on cold concrete floor, as i could not justify the cost of a lift.
The reason for carrying out work was a slipping clutch, when it was stripped down the reasons were obvious, ie leaking fluid, but upon close inspection all clutch items were in excellent condition, the friction plate was hardly worn, when compared to the new one, although i replaced it, i feel it would probably been ok if i had just cleaned it!!.
The bike is a 2003 with 31000 miles, i ride carefully & its nearly all motorway miles, so it gets an easy life.
When i refitted the clutch, i did not use a mandrel to align it, instead i aligned it using an allen key, the width of which was an interference fit between the friction plate hub outer edge, & the cover plate inner edge, i worked at this until the allen key was a sliding fit all around the hub, ie exact dead centre.
I have used the bike for approx 200 miles since work completed, the vibration band at 4500rpm(approx), has been greatly reduced, the bike feels much smoother, i did find an exhaust leak on no 3 exhaust port which i cured when the exhaust gaskets were replaced, but it was a very minor one.
I do wonder, if the clutches are not being properly centred on initial installation, ie possible generous tolerances, if this would allow for a minor eccentric wear ot the seals??, reason for this train of thought being due to apparent big reduction in vibration at 4500rpm, a slight eccentric wear could result in seal failures, its just my thought on the subject, feel free to blow it out of the water!
Have also noticed that average fuel consumption up, approx 52 mpg before now approx 56mpg (uk gallons).
Would like to say that without the advice on this forum, i would not have attempted task, it made life easier, i found that between the BMW manual & advice here the task was ok, actually it was an utter swine, but manageable, so to all the contibutors-thankyou-
Regards
Stevie
PS-Sorry but before anyone asks, i forgot to take the size of the allen key i used to centre the clutch, & it is too late now, as they all look the same in the toolbox.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
stevie1 said:
I do wonder, if the clutches are not being properly centred on initial installation, ie possible generous tolerances, if this would allow for a minor eccentric wear ot the seals??, reason for this train of thought being due to apparent big reduction in vibration at 4500rpm, a slight eccentric wear could result in seal failures, its just my thought on the subject, feel free to blow it out of the water!
actually it was an utter swine,
Makes perfect sense to me. There has to be a reason for so many of them having leaking seals so early. You my regret not changing out the slave cylinder, but that's a relatively easy task after what you've been thru. Hey, what's wrong with cold concret floors?
Utter swine! I love it!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
Centering the clutch is important for one reason only - reassembly of the transmission to the engine. After you release the clutch once it has been assembled it will be free floating and find it's own center. Most likely the balance of the plate and housing was better after you replaced the clutch.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
+1 on that. If you can reassemble it, it is centered sufficiently.

jzeiler said:
Centering the clutch is important for one reason only - reassembly of the transmission to the engine. After you release the clutch once it has been assembled it will be free floating and find it's own center. Most likely the balance of the plate and housing was better after you replaced the clutch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well done Stevie. I bet you have a tremendous feeling of self satisfaction. I have a leaking main seal but i'm putting off doing the repair for as long as possible.

I'm actually looking forward to doing the job but I'm so short of time.

I might look to you for some pointers when I get stuck in.

Chris

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
And since nobody mentioned it, around 4500 RPMs all LTs have a small buzz/vibration. The only thing that is known to fix that is a Rhemus pipe and a RheinWest chip.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My '03 (45 on the clock) is in the shop for the same thing, front and rear seals were leaking at the tranny, they checked the clutch and all of that, it wasn't in dire need of repair (replace) but since they were there it will be replaced.

What turned out to be a few odds and ends (minor and inexpensive), has turned into a front tire, tranny work and a new clutch! OUCH! :eek:

I will be taking donations, any amount will be appreciated! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts