BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a clutch alignment tool . . . they wouldn't mind lending out!!

Bike has 55,000 miles and I just tore the bike down due to replace an engine main seal going bad.
Caught it very early. All the other seals are good to go - the 2 on the transmission, the one for the starter
motor and the one on the clutch slave.

First comment:
Cannot believe how flimsy the main teflon seal is and see no reason for it leaking!! It's a single piece
of curved teflon without any memory support (spring)!!

Second comment:
Since I run synthetic oil is it possible that this oil may cause it to leak over the longrun as opposed to regular oils.
The reason I ask is that I saw no reason for the leak

BTW - I would be more than glad to pay for all shipping charges

I also have the special 30MM socket with 12mm allen wrench to lend out after I am all assembled.

Maybe there should be a list of tools and members willing to lend out tools - with the understanding that
you break it you buy it and the duration of lending should be reasonable? Just a thought!

Let me know

Dan
513 560-3832

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can use the clutch push rod with a socket over it and it lines up the clutch perfectly while you tighten it down. I'll have to look back at what size I used, but the square drive hole fit snug on the push rod and I just found the right size socket to fit in the clutch opening.

Good Luck,
Dan

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Anyone got a clutch alignment tool . . . they wouldn't mind lending out!!

Bike has 55,000 miles and I just tore the bike down due to replace an engine main seal going bad.
Caught it very early. All the other seals are good to go - the 2 on the transmission, the one for the starter
motor and the one on the clutch slave.

First comment:
Cannot believe how flimsy the main teflon seal is and see no reason for it leaking!! It's a single piece
of curved teflon without any memory support (spring)!!

Second comment:
Since I run synthetic oil is it possible that this oil may cause it to leak over the longrun as opposed to regular oils.
The reason I ask is that I saw no reason for the leak

BTW - I would be more than glad to pay for all shipping charges

I also have the special 30MM socket with 12mm allen wrench to lend out after I am all assembled.

Maybe there should be a list of tools and members willing to lend out tools - with the understanding that
you break it you buy it and the duration of lending should be reasonable? Just a thought!

Let me know

Dan
513 560-3832
You mean this? I made my own tool and can make a new one anytime. A lathe is a wonderful machine to have in the shop. You can have this one for the shipping and pass it forward to the next DYI clutch installer. Send me a PM if you still need this tool.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Just bolt it back up it will self align. I have done 4 clutch jobs on my Lt @ 240 K. I do have the BMW mandrill tool, every time I bolt it up the alignment is perfect. Just remember to follow shop instructions.
Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback, offers and advice. Looks like I will try to use some simple tools laying around the garage and toolbox and go for it . . .

I just fabricated a piece of angle iron to hold the clutch plate as I prepare to go thru the funny torquing sequence . . .

140 nm
Back off set at 50 nm
Turn the nut 60 degrees ??

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Thanks for the feedback, offers and advice. Looks like I will try to use some simple tools laying around the garage and toolbox and go for it . . .

I just fabricated a piece of angle iron to hold the clutch plate as I prepare to go thru the funny torquing sequence . . .

140 nm
Back off set at 50 nm
Turn the nut 60 degrees ??
60 degrees is one flat. I want to know just how they figured that sequence out.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
jzeiler said:
60 degrees is one flat. I want to know just how they figured that sequence out.
Heck, I'd like to know how they figger ANY torque setting? :confused: Crank on it 'til it breaks, then divide by two and subtract 1 rch and voila - publish!! :rolleyes:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
Dick said:
Crank on it 'til it breaks, then divide by two and subtract 1 rch and voila - publish!! :rolleyes:
You have just given out a top secrect BMW procedure. They will come for you in the night!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
jzeiler said:
You have just given out a top secrect BMW procedure. They will come for you in the night!!
:histerica Butt, hey, aren't they s'posed to be on their way to wherever doomsday folks are going??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
murray said:
Just bolt it back up it will self align. I have done 4 clutch jobs on my Lt @ 240 K. I do have the BMW mandrill tool, every time I bolt it up the alignment is perfect. Just remember to follow shop instructions.
Good Luck

when you tighten the 6 aluminum bolts, should the clutch still spin freely. Mine does not spend. I just want to make sure that is ok.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
The bolts are not aluminum, they should be steel but the clutch housing is aluminum. The disc will not spin once the bolts are torqued.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are right they are steel. When the tranny mounts to the clutch, I am assuming that the clutch will be perfectly centered. By the way, Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I always just looked down the center of the clutch and lined it up by eye. Never used a tool to do it. A tool is great if you have it, but it is not "needed".

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I always just looked down the center of the clutch and lined it up by eye. Never used a tool to do it. A tool is great if you have it, but it is not "needed".
I made up a tool to help center the clutch. But I do check it by eye before I torque it down. The screws that hold it together are one use only. They stretched a little when they are torqued down. You need to put new ones in every time it is apart.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,097 Posts
If it looks like this you will be just fine.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts