BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to have the tank off of my 05 replacing fuel lines, and noticed a small amount -probably not more than a couple of drops- of hydraulic fluid on the floor under the lef side of the bike about the middle of the engine. My first thought is that it is either the center stand or the clutch slave -although I have no idea that the previous owner may have drilled a weep hole. There isn't enough to identify a drip on the bike.

Clutch functions fine as does the center stand. Obviously I'm far more concerned about the clutch. So my question is, how hard is it to get to the slave cylinder (and of course, how! do I do that!)?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
It's actually kind of involved as a lot of stuff has to come off. You have to remove the rear tire and swingarm (requires a special tool that you most likely can borrow from someone on this forum), the drive line and a few other select items. It really isn't hard to do it just takes time. Here is the "How to" video from John Zeillor. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53532&highlight=weep+hole+video

This is the weep hole drilling video but it puts you right down to the point where you disconnect the hydraulic line and the bolts holding the slave cylinder on.

For sure drill the weep hole while you are in the neighborhood. Might also be a good time to invest in a lift. For what you will save doing the work yourself instead of having the dealer do it you can buy several lifts!

It would also be a good idea to have a Clymers manual too.

Loren

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,549 Posts
Feel the fluid with your fingers - if it is slippery it is jack oil from the center stand. If it feels slippery at first and then gets some traction it is DOT4 and could be from your ABS unit or the slave. Check the fill port on the outboard side of the ABS unit (should be a rubber cover over it). Mine always weeped a little brake fluid out of the grub screw.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
If you replaced your rear brake pads, it may just be overflow...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts