BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,

I just purchased an 07GT with 33,000 miles and was wondering if there is any adjustment for the clutch. It seems to catch with the lever almost all the way out. Not sure if this is normal since I have never ridden a GT.

Also, the previous owner said it did not come with a tool kit. Where might be a source to order one other than a dealer.

Thanks for any info.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Catching at the end of travel is perfectly normal for the GT. There is a small adjuster wheel on top of the lever itself, but that has limited range. Some folks with small hands have changed out the levers altogether, although replacement levers are kinda pricey.

The GT doesn't come with a proper tool kit like other BMWs used to. It should have a couple of Torx wrenches and a screwdriver clipped to the rear inner fender. Remove the passenger seat and look under there.

As for other tool kits, it all depends what you need and want to carry. I just put something together myself with commonly used tools and keep it in one of the saddlebags. For me, that includes everything needed to remove both wheels, patch and re-inflate tires, and do an oil change and normal maintenance, but not everyone will need to be that complete.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
wrpspd said:
Hello Everybody,

I just purchased an 07GT with 33,000 miles and was wondering if there is any adjustment for the clutch. It seems to catch with the lever almost all the way out. Not sure if this is normal since I have never ridden a GT.

Also, the previous owner said it did not come with a tool kit. Where might be a source to order one other than a dealer.

Thanks for any info.
As Ken posted, you should find two L-shaped torx wrenches and a reversible phillips/flat screwdriver under the seat. The torx wrenches fit one on top of the other, with the short end of the "L" going into two circular holes, and the long shafts in the clip.

I bought the BMW toolkit discussed in this thread: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=47358

It is pricey, but has nearly everything you need to do most maintenance work, although not in the most convenient form, and it fits in the strap under the seat when rolled very carefully. Ken and I searched for a better thin-walled spark plug remover, but couldn't find one at the local auto parts store, Harbor Freight, or Sears, so it was fortunate that we had the one from this kit. It doesn't include a ratchet head, which would be very handy. When I go on long trips, I supplement it by bringing additional tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts