BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LT rides real nice...not mushy, nice and firm......BUT.......
Going over railroad track or any kind of bump. I get a big "CLUNK" from the front end.......
Normal ?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Put her up on the center stand and see if you can move the front end around any..

Could be head bearings. Could be suspension. Could be nothing.

Might be normal..

Who knows...

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,103 Posts
I felt that this was normal for the stock shock as I always felt and heard it on a sharp bump. The rebound is not great on the stock unit. Since going to Ohlins front and rear I no longer get the clunk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clunk noise

Check your fender mounting points. The fender or, if you have a metal fender tip installed, could be loose and make strange noises. I have had a loose metal tip and cracks at the mounting points that caused this. I initially thought it was suspension components.

·
Registered
256 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
Going over railroad track or any kind of bump. I get a big "CLUNK" from the front end.......
Normal ?
Me too! Riding around Detroit, I found some potholes that rattled my teeth, and one of them popped 2 of the 3 snaps on the right side mirror. :D

I too am wondering if it is front-shock time. 02 LT, 20k miles, can it be worn out already?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Normal sound with stock shock...Upgrade and it will be gone.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The same thing has happened on my '99 LT many times, especially when crossing train tracks that are a little rough. Could never find anything wrong with the front though. Just that loud "thunk".

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Allen I have this as well. I was told it was normal. When it is time for shocks might be time for an upgrade for me :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
What sound of a shock bottoming out would you prefer? Perhaps future BMW models could have the equivalent of Ring Tones for Shocks bottoming out.

"I want mine to sound like steam escaping".

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
A test for front end "clunk"

All you folks who have a front end clunk, it isn't necessarily the front shock, although it could be. Try this:

While riding over a road surface that causes the clunk, feather your front brake. Don't brake hard enough to significantly slow the bike, just enough so the brake pads are pressed up against the rotors by the caliper pucks. Make a few runs over the same surface, comparing noise when feathering the front brake and when not, make the runs at the same speed irrespective of whether you are feathering the brake or not.

If the clunk goes away, the clunk is being caused the 4 brake pads all banging in unison inside the brake calipers when you hit a bump.

·
Registered
178 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
Normal ?
Clunk or Glong or Bing or whatever you call that.

Mine did it and it was the front fender that was cracked near the bolt fixation where the black plastic meets the painted plastic. I repaired it with fiberglass. Sound is gone. Perhaps you may take a look there ;)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx to all
I feel a lot better
seems like I'll try a new shock as part of my pre-Spring maint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts