BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are tons of posts on the site (too may in fact) to help me look for a "clunk" from the front end under braking, but any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't occur under light braking, but if I really pull on the front anchor, there's a "clunk" and at the same time a movement through the handlebars. It FEELS as if the steering head bearings are loose (i've only ever experienced that on a bicycle so I'm guessing here) but despite having had several LT's, I'm still not 100% sure if that part is the same as on "conventional" motorcycles.
The other day I put the bike on the centre stand, a jack under the engine to hold the front end off the floor and tried to pull the wheel in and out.......
I couldn't feel anything, but then again I wasn't trying too hard as I was very aware of 800lbs of bike just waiting to roll off the stand and squash me, so maybe didn't give if the full beans.
Discs, calipers and mudguard are all fine, nothing loose or moving excessively
Any advice greatly appreciated

Simon

ps, 1999, LT, 30,000 miles excellent well looked after condition

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
I would take a gander at the front shock mounts (upper & lower), Simon. I can't think of other possibilities at the moment and hopefully, the experts will show up soon to help you out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I would check out the ball joint on the front A frame. I have seen a few of these come loose over the years.

Jim

simon said:
There are tons of posts on the site (too may in fact) to help me look for a "clunk" from the front end under braking, but any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't occur under light braking, but if I really pull on the front anchor, there's a "clunk" and at the same time a movement through the handlebars. It FEELS as if the steering head bearings are loose (i've only ever experienced that on a bicycle so I'm guessing here) but despite having had several LT's, I'm still not 100% sure if that part is the same as on "conventional" motorcycles.
The other day I put the bike on the centre stand, a jack under the engine to hold the front end off the floor and tried to pull the wheel in and out.......
I couldn't feel anything, but then again I wasn't trying too hard as I was very aware of 800lbs of bike just waiting to roll off the stand and squash me, so maybe didn't give if the full beans.
Discs, calipers and mudguard are all fine, nothing loose or moving excessively
Any advice greatly appreciated

Simon

ps, 1999, LT, 30,000 miles excellent well looked after condition

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
I am with Jim on this one. There are no "conventional" steering head bearings in this design. The lower ball joint is the prime suspect, however the top bearing assembly could also be at fault but it is difficult to see any movement up there. It is a press fit (into the top bridge) anular contact bearing that has a stud that bolts to the top of the frame. Have not seen one of those go bad - yet. The rear telelever bearings back over the center of the engine under the frame could also be worn. That would give lateral as well as longitudinal movement.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only just started riding the bike again and was still troubled by the "clunk"
However, had a decent look around and found the fork "bridge" loose! tightened up the bolts and all fine now! Strange the way this would have worked loose?

·
Registered
975 Posts
simon said:
Only just started riding the bike again and was still troubled by the "clunk"
However, had a decent look around and found the fork "bridge" loose! tightened up the bolts and all fine now! Strange the way this would have worked loose?
Someone else will probably also chime in, but those bolts should not come loose!

You may want to re-check them and make sure they were previously installed with Loctite... I'm not sure on the type - I used "blue" last time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts