BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Oh yes!

Rubbing alcohol - try it. Usually clears up the display nicely. Sure has for me!

Then - a coat of some type of automotive finishing wax - I use McGuires gold. Holds it for quite awhile. When the fog comes back - simply rinse and repeat.

Seems the plastic of the display is a bit hydrophilic. The alcohol helps draw the moisture out. The wax then 'seals' it up again - for a bit.

Others have used 'cut to fit' PDA screen protectors with good success as well.

Isn't this in the FAQ or HOW? Haven't looked in awhile ::blush::

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re:cloudy radio display

I used rubbing compound to clear the display so I could see and use my radio. The jury is out on the dealer replacing the radio or the display screen. I was asked what I used to clean the machine and I quickly responded that I used the dealers products only ;)

Good Luck, AC
2004 black K1200LT
2003 grey V-strom 1000

·
Registered
70 Posts
patrickreyn said:
is there any solution to this problem other than buying a new radio
I cleaned mine with BMW plastic cleaner. Available in their automotive department. ( I assume it's for convertible windows). After cleaning the lens I cut a sheet of lcd screen protector. Like they sell for PDA screens at Office Depot. It is fantastic. It keeps it BETTER THAN NEW in my opinion. The only issue I have is slight shrinkage around the edges. Right now mine is crystal clear everywhere but along the edges. Almost snow white there. Even if your display is less than crystal clear after cleaning it, don't worry. You'll be amazed after applying it. One little tip. Make a paper template of the display first and cut the protector using that as a template. Even doing that it took me three tries before I was satisfied. The curve makes it a bit difficult. There is a picture somewhere in the old archives that I took a couple weeks after putting it on. If you want I'll take a current picture later today. This winter I'll install a new one, but before I do I'll be putting the uncut sheet in a sunny window for a month or two to let it do all the shrinking it wants before I cut it.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Wally, what a great idea.. I think I have a pack of those puppies in my desk somewhere.. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was cloudy to the point where I could not read the display. A little bead of "Autosol" on a soft cloth sorted it out perfectly.

Geoffrey.
Johannesburg, South Africa

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mine is cloudy/yellowish too.

But how do you remove the plastic display itself so as to clean the inside of it, not just the outside?

This is on a 1999 K1200LT.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did this last week using rubbing alcohol as the other poster recommended on a cotton swab.... now as clear as can be. I then used a armorall with uv protection. I believe the sun causes them to cloud.. I would never have guess this, if I hadn't read this on this forum.

The cotton swab turned black as I cleaned it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yup... Denatured Isopropyl works as well today as it did seven years ago when that thread was last updated...

:corn:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try a dab of toothpaste on a wet finger, rub the display, then wipe clean. The fine abrasive in the toothpaste cleaned mine up like it was new, and it stayed that way for a long time. Try it, you'll like it!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,179 Posts
BMW_forever said:
Mine is cloudy/yellowish too.

But how do you remove the plastic display itself so as to clean the inside of it, not just the outside?

This is on a 1999 K1200LT.

Thanks.
You can get to it but you have to remove both sides of the tupperware and then pull the "stingray". Then open the radio compartment and remove the controller from the stingray then open the controller. Usually not needed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Following some of the advice on this board I used Denatured Alchool today to clean the display. It cleaned it and was clear at first then turned cloudy and has a white risdue on it and it is worse than before.

This suggestion DID NOT work.

Not sure what else to try. Does any of the suggestions work actually ? Sorry to ask that but the suggestion I followed didn't work atall.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sorry to hear that it did NOT work for you. I have used denatured isopropyl alcohol on LT radio displays for years and have never experienced what you did.

I am sure someone will chime in with some advice for dealing with your current circumstance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,179 Posts
Maybe you need to rub the lens a little longer with a cotten cloth with alcohol. You want to remove the clouded layer - it won't just wipe off easily.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
BMW_forever said:
Following some of the advice on this board I used Denatured Alchool today to clean the display. It cleaned it and was clear at first then turned cloudy and has a white risdue on it and it is worse than before.

This suggestion DID NOT work.

Not sure what else to try. Does any of the suggestions work actually ? Sorry to ask that but the suggestion I followed didn't work atall.

Thanks.
Check the last entry by Mike Kiesel from this parallel thread
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2689

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I was trying to resolve the fogged up display problem a few years ago, I already had some Meguiar's Mirror Glaze from when I cleaned up some scuffs in the paint on my truck. It is a "fine cut cleaner", according to the label, and rubbing it with a wet terry cloth towel cleaned the fog and left a pretty smooth surface. It held up well enough that I didn't have to do it again the last couple of years I had that bike, even without a clear coat. Applying it with a buffing wheel on my Dremel was an afterthought but probably a good one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Denatured Alcohol worked fantastic for me! It's as clear as new - I can actually see the words again! Lol, sounds like a commercial! But, it did it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Once you get it clear, put some clear tape over the display, cut it to size with a blade and never have to worry about it again. :)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Mine turned yellow and completely opaque after two days of riding in rain. Alcohol didn't do a thing, I used a headlight cleaning kit (had it left over from an older car--also used it on the LT's headlight). Taped off the edges, put the cleaner on, used a couple q-tips, took less than a minute and looks clean and new. Hit it with some Turtle Wax Ice to seal it, has been fine since.

Just another option

·
Registered
44 Posts
petevandyke said:
Mine turned yellow and completely opaque after two days of riding in rain. Alcohol didn't do a thing, I used a headlight cleaning kit (had it left over from an older car--also used it on the LT's headlight). Taped off the edges, put the cleaner on, used a couple q-tips, took less than a minute and looks clean and new. Hit it with some Turtle Wax Ice to seal it, has been fine since.

Just another option
for those of you that the alcohols didnt work you can try using the kits that fix headlights. first tape off around the display VERY well, then go to your local autozone and purchase a bottle of any of these kits, PLUS get some 1500 grit sand paper, 2000 grit, 2500grit, 3000 grit. start with the 1500 and sand in a horizontal direction, switch to the 2000 grit and sand vertically, 2500 grit sand horizontally again and finish with the 3000 grit sanded vertically. wipe off any material that has been sanded away. Now you your headlight cleaner as directed and your done!

you dont need to use much pressure at all what is more important is that you get a uniform scuff across the display with each grit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts