BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming out of a turn on the Saw Mill River Parkway with late afternoon sun glare to contend with, I spotted something that looked like a bump in the road. With not much time to react I straightened the bike out and went over it. What ever it was shot out to left and into the air. The LT handled it like a trooper and we stayed upright. I pulled over and noted the dent in the rim (see image.) I cant believe the bead did not pop. Nursed it home and bought a used rim off E-Bay.

Question: Do you think I should automatically change out the wheel bearings on a used wheel? or install the wheel and check for play in the bearings first?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Did the Ebay site say how many miles on the bike it came from? Stick your finger in the bearings, give them a spin, no roughness? Feel snug, good. Look at the seals, are they relatively sharp, no missing edges, good.
You could have that old wheel repaired, does not look too bad. Plenty of shops that specialize in that. A spare on the garage wall.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the Ebay site say how many miles on the bike it came from? Stick your finger in the bearings, give them a spin, no roughness? Feel snug, good. Look at the seals, are they relatively sharp, no missing edges, good.
You could have that old wheel repaired, does not look too bad. Plenty of shops that specialize in that. A spare on the garage wall.
Yes, I am thinking of getting it repaired and use as a spare or sell it on ebay if I can get my money back for the repair. Maybe someone on the forum needs a wheel.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
What. Beech said. If they are not lose and you stick your fingers in both sides and have someone give it a good spin and no roughness, I say use them. I bought a spare wheel and a new bearing set at the same time and changed them but they were not very easy to remove seeing I was a dodo and as smart as I sometimes am did not use heat. I think I damaged one of my new rotors in the process so my spare sits with a new tire, wheel bearings and a bent rotor till I get time to fix my stupidity. My bearings felt fine but I changed them just because. Probably cost me a new rotor so I say use them if they are not noticeably bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts