BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last year my in laws told me to watch out for a fox that was hiding in an old culvert near the road so I did...by the next week it had been hit by what looked like a 100 cars as I was on my way to town. On the way back through that spot which is new road with a couple of twisties at each end and about 100 yards of straight road and darkly shaded I came to the straight away and I had about 3 seconds to deicide what the hell was coming at me. It was an eagle carrying the fox carcass and I actually ducked because I thought the fox might bounce off my head. it was pretty cool looking.....then yesterday I came around the same spot and the same direction. my first thought was a turkey slightly in my lane but then It jumped and took flight in the same direction. It was another eagle...cool as shit.. head height flying my direction as I went by. His head was turned to his left looking at me as I went by. I bet I wasn't 3 feet from his wing when I went by as I couldn't move over because of the twisty coming up. never have that dang GOPRO on when I need it :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
I know what you mean. Last summer I had one come close to me in Nebraska. It didn't look at me, it was looking in the ditch for something. It was flying over the road in the other lane. I could just about touch it but I didn't try. Keep your camera on and you might get some nice pics.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't like the idea of whacking into birds at all. And lately I have had a few close calls.
But to hit an eagle? That would be too said. They are not crows, nor pigeons.

I was walking on the beach on Egmont Key a few years ago. A huge bird was on top of a broken off palm tree, squawking at me. Like an eagle only larger.
He looked and he squawked. So I walked on. Then I stopped to look back. He started squawking again, I had walked very close by the palm tree.
So off I walked again, and he took off carrying a large fish that I didn't realize he had been holding.
An osprey. He thought I might be after his fish. He could easily have ripped my eyes out.
dc

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Many, many years ago I was riding my BSA 650 home from work on a cold day. I wore a leather jacket, and had put a couple sections of newspaper under the jacket over my chest to help keep warm (no windshield). A fairly large bird flew up from the side of the road and hit me square in the chest! It knocked my breath out, and it took me a while to get stopped and get my breath back. I was glad I had put the newspaper in! Just a large shock rather than a large bruise. Glad I saw it just in time to get a good grip on the bars, or it may have knocked me out of control.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hit a turkey in my Avalanche at about 60 MPH. Never saw it coming as it flew in from out of my line of sight. Think it was suicidal. Smashed the windshield in but luckily it didn't make it through the window. Don't want to think about the results of hitting a large bird on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Almost hit an Egyptian vulture back in South Africa when I was doing my private pilots license. His wing span was bigger than the Cessna 150 I was flying, and I missed him by about 6 feet or so as well. I had to throw away my underwear after I landed!:eek:

·
Registered
384 Posts
In the few months I've had my RT I've had two close run ins with vultures, closer than in the 20 or so years I've been riding. One I could have pulled feathers from it's wing.

Had a game of chicken with a wild turkey once, he was several hundred yards away, I could tell we were on a collision course to meet where the field met the road. I sped up the turkey ran faster, I slowed down, the turkey slowed down, repeatedly, when we met at the road he jumped up flew right over my head. I'm thinking it was an old buddy reincarnated.

I don't know if it's the quietness of this bike, we are approaching like ninjas. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts