BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was exiting the Meijers parking lot today after after doing a small bit of grocery shopping when a white sedan (Nissan Maxima?) shot out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes in the middle of a slow speed turn. I was relieved for about about 1 second when I realized my bike was leaning on the right side about 3 inches from the ground. :surprise:

I instinctively pulled up and expected her to right herself. Wrong!! She just froze in place. I then realized that I had to either lay her down as gently as possible or give it everything I had to try and pull her upright. I chose the latter, and miraculously I got her upright after 3-4 incredibly intense seconds fighting with her. Thank god for 30 years of heavy weight training! She never hit the ground. :yeah:

My thoughts immediately went to all the forum discussions surrounding LT drops, specifically "There are 2 types of LT owners. The ones that have dropped them and the ones that are going to drop them". I've only had my LT for 18 months so we will see what the future holds, but I won today's battle. Just wanted to share.

Reactions: Patric and Notahog

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good work Gorm! I'll bet you were glad you had ABS! I had a close call while braking in a turn wondering why the road was black and shiny under the bike. Diesel spill, that stuff is slick on a concrete highway! My abs kept the front wheel from locking and me and the bike from hitting the pavement. Good luck with the cagers!

Reactions: gorm5

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I was exiting the Meijers parking lot today after after doing a small bit of grocery shopping when a white sedan (Nissan Maxima?) shot out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes in the middle of a slow speed turn. I was relieved for about about 1 second when I realized my bike was leaning on the right side about 3 inches from the ground. :surprise:

I instinctively pulled up and expected her to right herself. Wrong!! She just froze in place. I then realized that I had to either lay her down as gently as possible or give it everything I had to try and pull her upright. I chose the latter, and miraculously I got her upright after 3-4 incredibly intense seconds fighting with her. Thank god for 30 years of heavy weight training! She never hit the ground. :yeah:

My thoughts immediately went to all the forum discussions surrounding LT drops, specifically "There are 2 types of LT owners. The ones that have dropped them and the ones that are going to drop them". I've only had my LT for 18 months so we will see what the future holds, but I won today's battle. Just wanted to share.
I keep a running count in my sig. LOL Not bad, I feel, since 2007. Lot of time between the first 4 and the fifth.

Have fun,
Jer

Reactions: gorm5

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL That is too funny. May you have never get that 6th drop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've done a couple of driveway drops of my LT. With my back to the bike, I use the handlebar on one side and the other hand (with glove) on the highest point of the trunk I can get traction on. I know the trunk isn't meant for these sorts of forces/loads, but the extra height really helps this old body (78) generate enough righting moment to lift it back up.

Come to think of it, I haven't done it for a couple of years..........:surprise:

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had dropped my LT twice.
First I was doing the oil change with the bike on the CS. When I applied torque to a stuck oil filter the bike moves forward. It was falling on my little brother, so I pulled it to my side. Crushed my skull and left arm. After lots of screaming four neighbors lifted it off my head.
The second time was in slo-mo. Got to a street intersection and while stopping couldn't find footing, lots of sand.
I slowly put the big girl down. A little scratch was all...

If it's gonna drop, let it -slowly- drop. Just not on your head like me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Glad you were not hurt picking up your bike, not easy or safe. Use your rear brake in parking lots.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Glad you were not hurt picking up your bike, not easy or safe. Use your rear brake in parking lots.
A good suggestion that doesn't work with the servo linked brakes on the LT, rear also gives front.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
A good suggestion that doesn't work with the servo linked brakes on the LT, rear also gives front.
If you use the rear brake lightly, it doesn't apply the fronts on an '02 and a '03 LT. I'm sure about that as I've used both years LT in parking lots using the rear brake. I try to NEVER touch the front brake under slow parking lot conditions. It'll go down for sure.

Been several years now since my last drop.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.:wink:

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I had a '02 and never could get just rear. I've read that here but it never worked for me. As soon as I applied rear brake, the servos run and both brakes are applied. Doesn't work that way on the '05 either.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Integral brakes, I can never keep it straight which bikes have full integral and partial integral. Seems the LT series is full integral and is easy on the front using the rear pedal until a certain force level is reached. I understand why it is there, don't personally like it. And I really have bad thoughts about the servo bikes. But here is a seriously deep thread on it and the PDF paper is excellent.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/12098-linked-brakes-negative.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts